1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To back up Online startup disc v3.0 or any online startup disc

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Jdilla, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

can someone tell me if this can be accomplish, i want to back up my online start up disc so i can send it to my buddy L-burna. ive tried making an exact copy of it, boot it with swapmagic cd3.0, swap it with the cd-r backup of my online startup disc and nothing happens. i also tried doing it the cogswap way and nothing. dont know if Stomp Record now max v4.50 is the right program to use, but it has worked in the past when it comes to backing up dvd and cd ps2 games. has anyone done this? if so, how?

2. punx777

punx777 Regular member

is it cd or dvd? your sure your backing it up the the right media right... lol

does it boot at all?

3. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

don't have the disc myself so this is guess work but try using either alcohol 120 or clone cd to copy the disc

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I am working on it right now,using clonecd and am going to continue to use a sector viewer to see if I can pick up the bad sectors of the swap magic discs.I think it might be possible to read the bad sectors,but to actually get them on disc is another thing.The sector viewer could give important details,but am not really sure.I am going to continue working on it.At the moment I am using CloneCD V5.0.4.2 to work on the disc.It skips the bad sectors of the disc as any other program would do,but maybe I can go back and inject the bad sectors (of course this would be dealing with the sector viewer program I am talking about)if possible not sure if it will work.I am just experiementing at the moment might have something not sure though if it will work.

5. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

the online startup disc v3.0 came with my new slimline pstwo; this is the newest online disc. it is cdrom.. punx777 i know the difference, im not that new around here and no it didnt boot at all when i tried swapmagic cd it just looked like it was going to playback but i just got a frozen black screen. devilhunt i did try alcohol 120%, set the disc type are playstation2, and it still didnt work. im going to see if i can back up the other online startup disc that i have, that one is a dvd, so mistakes will hurt more since its going to be on dvd blank media, not cdr as the one i was trying before, i will post back with my results, L_burna i hope you achieve your goal man... so like that we wont see that favorite newbie question "Can i burn swapmagic?" or "Why can i burn swapmagic?"

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

blind write is the only other program that might be worth giving a shot as somtimes it seems to be able to do what the others can't

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I have a update,but the results are bad.I tried to pull the sectors off the disc,and it was a no go.I am now thinking is it possible to build a multi disc of the swap magic to read Dvd9 games.I have the image of the Swap Magic V2.0 which is 4.35gig in size,but could it be possible to put the swap magic on first layer and have it again on another layer which would be the second layer dual layer format.I guess the sector reader was not really reliable as for pulling the sectors out of the disc(weird how I can read the sectors,but can't extract them though),but is this possible.I guess linking the checks is another thing to look at in a hex editor,so it will pick up the checks on the first layer of the game disc,and then continue on to the second layer of the same disc.It looks like it would be costly to do,but I was wondering is this a good plan or should I step away from it and let it go.I was also wondering would it boot up from the first layer which would be the swap magic itself,and then continue on reading the whole size of the disc itself if I made it to first check the first layer and then read both layers.

8. kgray

kgray Member

try to get some more info off of google

9. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

if you wanna keep trying, keep on trying maybe you achieve this, but it has been tried before and never gotten results because of the bad sectors that the smd disk set is stamped with. just do a cogswap with a devil may cry2 size ps2 game and you are ok. or just refreshing the toc with smd cd. so theres ways around the smd. i tried the dvd version of the online disk and still a no go.

10. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah I know Jdilla,but I am trying to figure out how to get a Dvd9 game to play using the swap magic.I have heard alot of people say that when you do the TOC refresh with a Dvd9 game it only checks the first layer of the disc.The second layer is not even checked so it only limits the size to 4.7gig only,but maybe it is possible to get the check to initialize the second layer also.I haven't tried messing with it before,and I hope it is possible to make it check for the second layer also instead of only the first layer.I am not sure if it will work or not,but it couldn't hurt to try.

11. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

yes you are right. i tried to back up the online disc with clone cd, and still a no go. the cd-rom disc is only
    71.5 mb i dunno if i should throw in a dummy file or something so the laser would pick it up.. any thoughts guys? also the dvd version didnt work using alcohol 120 and dvd decrypter, i wonder why its not working, it looks like its not the same as burning games. this is what i get once i use iso buster to see whats inside the disc:
    a folder called SCE_DD
    PBPX_954.42
    SYSTEM.CNF

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004