1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Backup a DVD Backup

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jaydee123, Jan 28, 2004.

1. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Is it possible to backup a DVD Backup???? Would the quality suffer???& if so how much. I have make a few backup of some movies, I had some damaged done the originals. I need to backup the backups of those DVD Movies.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dave

Here is my System INfo:
    Asus P4PE MoBo,533FSB,2.4 iTEL,512mb PC2700,ATI 8500LE 128mb,ATI TV Wonder Pro R/C,Teac CD-W58E,PLEXTOR PX-708A,Western Digital Cav.SE 80 GiG w/8mb data buffer,this custom made system is running on WinXP.[/small]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  2. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

no the quality would be exactly the same

you can use Nero v6.0 to v6.3 there pretty good ans just do a straight Disc to disc copy

or

my method use CloneDVD not the new version (2.2)

the new version is rubbish really gone down hill but the other version CloneDVD 1.3.36 or sumat like that use that you will have to the the CloneDVD fix tho search for it in the little box at the top

l8r

3. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

you also can use DVD Decrypter in ISO-mode, first read, then write. You will end up with a 1:1 copy (The same goes for Nero as well).

4. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

good point there are many ways...

if we helped let us no soon wil ya

l8r

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Any of the better burning software (Nero, Recordnow,Roxio) can do a straight full disc copy of a backup dvd. Shouldn't be any problems.
    Jerry

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

A bit better than Decrypter in the write mode use ImgTool Burn, a free burn tool that uses Decrypter but is more relieable -

"P"

7. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

weird, why is that? I thought there was no difference in the burning procedure, since ImgTool just creates the image, opens DVD Decrypter in ISO-write mode and burns that image to the disc with all the settings (burning speed etc) you have set into DVD Decrypter earlier. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

And, I don't know why, but my ImgTool was not able to make an image directly from a backed-up DVD, so you would have to read the files onto your HD first, thus making one extra procedure.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ImgTool doesn't "create" an image, all it does is burn. -

Yes, it has to be from a HD unless you're burning from a copy -

"P"

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Just to clarify on the backing up a back-up. For all intents and purpose, generally it is considered illegal, except when the original has gone missing and the back-up of the back-up, is actually just a single back-up.

On backing up an back-up, the copy will be a bit for bit exact replica of the original back-up. There can be no loss of quality with any digital media when backing up. I find an easy way to do this is basically right click on the DVD drive the back up is in. Select explore and just copy and paste the files into a directory on your computer. Then burn as you did the back-up.
    Easy.....

10. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Thanks Pete, but I believe you are mistaken now. I use ImgTool to create an image from the DVD folders made with DVD Shrink. Thus before burning it to disc I will have both the folders made with DVD Shrink and an extra image of these folders. This image is then burned with DVD Decrypter. ImgTool opens DVD Decrypter automatically for you, but if you don't have Decrypter installed, ImgTool will only create the image, nothing more. ImgTool by itself is not a burning tool, only an image creation tool.

You are right about being able to use ImgTool to read an image directly from a backed-up disc, I tried it again and now it worked, strange.

Well I hope this clarifies the issue. Thanks again!

11. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Oriphus: Can you say BackUp just one more time??? lol I knew you could.lol
    Heyyyy.....I'm a Junior Member now yea for me!!!!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dave

Here is my System INfo:
    Asus P4PE MoBo,533FSB,2.4 iTEL,512mb PC2700,ATI 8500LE 128mb,ATI TV Wonder Pro R/C,Teac CD-W58E,PLEXTOR PX-708A,Western Digital Cav.SE 80 GiG w/8mb data buffer,this custom made system is running on WinXP.[/small]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Keytale,
    Perhaps we are talking about 2 different things - I use ImgTool Burn 1.00.6 - I can access a file and a burner, burn the file to the DVD. There are no other settings or functions -

I can Erase (quick or Full) and Burn -

JeeDee123 - -> Congratulations !!!

13. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

You're right, I'm referring to ImgTool Classic
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/imgtool_classic.cfm

ok, good thing we good this cleared. Thanks! :)

So you say that ImgTool Burn would be more reliable than DVD Decrypter? Do you mean that you get less coasters or that the burnt disc is more combatible with other players?

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ketale,

My opinion plus that of a few others on this forum, less coasters -

Me, I love Decrypter in the file mode for ripping that which Shrink cannot do :))

It also does some that DVD43 doesn't handle either but DVD43 has the ease the others don't have - We do have a lot of ingredients to make our soup with don't we ??

:) Pete

15. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

we surely do :)
    I'm currently struggling to get the DVD->DoItFast4U->CCE->Scenarist->IfoUpdate->IfoEdit->ImgTool->DVDDecrypter soup working.... There's so many spices to this soup that we should probably wear one of them white cooks hats and an apron while we're rippin' & encoding ;)

Have to keep in mind that ImgTool Burn thing, although I haven't had a single coaster with the ImgTool Classic->DVD Decrypter combination either, after I quit using Princos... ;) Thanks!