1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to backup DVD's that contain data not a movie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dnredit, Sep 1, 2003.

1. dnredit

dnredit Member

I have a big collection of DVD's from www.digitaljuice.com that contain animated backgrounds and lots of other graphic elements to use in video editing projects. Can I make backup DVD copies of these and use those instead of the originals? If so, what would be the best program to use?

Digital Juice includes a free program that works only with these original DVD's that processes the animations into different formats, colors and speed called Juicer 2.0. Would the backup DVD copy work with this program since it is looking for the original DVD's?

Thanks,

Randy

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I've never had a problem backing up data using Nero Burning Rom myself...

If you have DVD Burner & DVD-Rom drive(s) then it's possible to burn on-the-fly , although if both drives are on the same IDE cable you might want to make an image to HDD 1st then burn the .nrg file

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

If not, copy the whole contents of the DVD into a folder and burn it, that way you will have the exact same contents on your back up.

4. dnredit

dnredit Member

Please note that I need an exact copy, like a CD ISO copy of a program CD, of the DVD not just the contents in order for it to work with their Juicer image processing program.

For example, I couldn't take one of the animated backgrounds and copy it to my hard drive and then use the Juicer program to process it. It simply wouldn't load it or find it. The Juicer program first looks for the original DVD in order for it to process the animated backgrounds on that DVD. I would need an exact copy of each DVD so that the Juicer program thinks I'm loading the animated backgrounds from the original DVD.

Obviously, this is the copy protection they have implemented to prevent people from simply copying specific animated backgrounds off their DVD's to CD's or DVD's and giving them to other people.

Can this be done at this level and is there any other programs besides Nero that can make exact DVD data copies?

Randy

5. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

You could use DVD Decrypter (freeware DVD ripper, click the name to get a link to the download page). This program can make and then burn an ISO image of your disc - a backup doesn't get anymore exact than that.
    Instructions are available at http://www.dvddecrypter.com

6. herbsman

Nero is one of the best !!

I doubt if they use better copy protection than for example a PS2 game & they're not a problem.
    Try DVD Decrypter (free d/l) to unencrypt files would be my next suggestion. I don't know if it'll work as I have never come across anyone wanting to copy such DVD's ; )

7. herbsman

[bold]LMAO [/bold]

You beat me to it Yuriv

[ great minds think alike ]

8. dnredit

dnredit Member

I noticed that DVD Decrypter Guide link states that it can only be used on DVD's that are smaller than 4.36GB. The DVD's that I need to copy are above 7GB each. Any suggestions?

Randy

Last edited: Sep 1, 2003
  9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Doh...compress them using DVD Shrink

10. herbsman

Thats rubbish , DVD Decrypter can handle upto 7Gb

Your problem will be in compressing , cos there is software out there to compress DVD Files (ie; VOB BUP IFO) but who knows what kind of files you are talking about.

11. dnredit

dnredit Member

Isn't DVD Shrink intended just to recompress movies? Each DVD here consists of folders which contain anywhere from 800-1200 individual PNG image files at 1/2 meg each in size. They are basically full-motion animations saved as individual frames in each folder. These can then be processed using their Jucier program into the video format of your choice. But, in order to use the Juicer program to process the animation you must load the original DVD that contains the PNG files for that animation.

Randy

Last edited: Sep 1, 2003
  12. herbsman

I didn't think DVD Shrink or DVD2one would help you out !!

Good luck with finding your answer on this subject , I wouldn't even know where to point you in the right direction now...so I'll take a bow & bid you farewell

Cioa