1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to backup wii games using sd card?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by zorro26uk, Jan 27, 2008.

1. zorro26uk

zorro26uk Member

i dont post ask questions unless i can't find answer my self. am sorry if there is any mistakes..

I know there are 2 ways of backing up orignal wii games, one of them is to have LG 816's dvd-roms to read wii games. but acording to this , it mentions another method..if you have a WiiKey mod chip installed there is a utility that will let you backup entire games to SD card in raw form.

Can some one pls tell me where can i find more details on this? what utility is it and how to do it.. thanks.

2. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

its on the wiikey config 1.3 disc
    i have not used it so cant help more
    this is the readme that comes with it

wiiKey DVDDump v0.8
    =====================================================

Requirements:
    ------------------
    - gamecube SD Adapter (gecko or selfmade)
    - SDCard

Most cards other than sdhc should work. We tested various cards from 512mb
    to 2gb. There may be some non-sdhc 4gb cards, but we didnt have one to test
    with. Cards smaller than 512mb should work, but are not recommended as they
    will require too much swapping.

Note:
    -------------------
    Running dumptool.exe requires administrator privilege. Please login as an
    administrator or member of the administrator group.

Setup:
    -------------------
    Before using your sdcard for the first time, you need to format it using
    our tool. To do this simply run:

dumptool [driveletter] -c

This will format the card to fat16 and allocate space for the dumpfile.
    It will use all but 10Mb of the available space, in case you want to put
    some other applictions on there as well.

Dumping:
    --------------------------
    Depending on the size of your card the dumper will split up the image to
    multiple chunks. Once a single chunk has been dumped, you must download it
    to your computer using dumptool.exe.

There are two methods for downloading the chunks to your pc. Using the
    option -sd will store the data into a single image file called discimage.iso.
    This is the recommended way, because you dont have to join the parts after
    dumping.

dumptool [driveletter] -sd

will get the current chunk from the card and append it to the image file
    discimage.iso

Alternatively using the option -d will create a single file for each chunk
    ie. 00.rvl 01.rvl etc. You have join the parts manually when using this method.

DO *NOT* use multiple cards when dumping a single disc, it will result in bad dumps!

A complete image of a gamecube disc should be exactly 1459978240 bytes
    in size. The correct size for a wii disc image is 4699979776 bytes.

Using the batch files:
    --------------------------
    If commandlines scare you, you can also use the provided batch files
    formatSD.bat and dump.bat.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  3. zorro26uk

zorro26uk Member

thanks for a prompt reply, but where do i get that disc, cause i had it chipped from someone. he never gave me a disc.

And does it mean i would need password to login as admisnistrator and install the utilities?

4. zorro26uk

zorro26uk Member

ohh, also how do i know if i got wiikey?... i got a newer version of wii, and i think what he installed was D2key?

5. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

Wii Firmware Updates, Wii and WiiKey Resources

this post has all the info u need where to get the config disc from

u dont need login/pass

if u have a d2ckey chip in ur wii its irrelevant - ur only trying to dump the image onto sd card

6. nekkron

nekkron Member

Alright, from what I can understand so far; is in order to use the DVD Dump Tool on the WiiKey 1.3 Config Disc you need to format your SD Card using Dumptool.

I noticed that you said that the tool is on the WiiKey 1.3 Config Disc, I have looked through all the menus and searched google like crazy and everyone just says 'it's on the disc' and 'it has to be run on Windows XP'.

Just for clarification, i've tried running the Config Disc under Windows, and it's got nothing usable with it, and the download of the WiiKey 1.3 Config Disc had only these files:

bootdisc.us.iso
    bootdisc.jap.iso
    bootdisc.pal.iso
    filechop.exe
    fixsize.exe
    readme.txt

I've gone through the readme several times, and while it mentions the utility to actually dump the games, no where does it mention how to format the SD Card for that utility to read the SD Card.

I've googled, like said, searched everywhere and can't find any links or useful information for the utility to format the SD Cards.

Can anyone help me out here, or at least explain not how to dump, but where and how to format the SD Card.

7. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

i have uploaded the files i had in the config folder here

these are all the files i have in the folder

there is a format sd prog in there

hope it helps

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  8. nekkron

nekkron Member

Thats ok, I understand now, have since I wrote it. It was never on the 1.3 Config Disc, which confused me because you said it was, it's on the Config 1.2 disc. All sorted, you should have checked before saying it though.

9. nekkron

nekkron Member

So I have a WiiKey with firmware 1.9b, WiiKey Config Discs 1.2 and 1.3, with 2 MicroSD Cards (Kingston MiSD 1GB and ScanDisc MiSD 2GB) both came with SD Adaptors.

I just bought a WiiKey SD Adaptor to copy my games using the WiiKey DVD Dump.

So far, I managed to format my SD Cards, they are empty with only a 'wiidump.bin' file exactly 10MB smaller in size than the capacity of the cards. So I believe it worked fine.

So I plug in a MiSD using the SD Adaptor into the WiiKey SD Adaptor, then into the GameCube Memory Port, I then run the WiiKey Config Disc 1.3 and browse to DVD Dumper.

So following the instructions, the WiiKey SD Adaptor is inserted into GameCube Memory Port, with a MiSD>SD Card inserted, I swap discs and put in my game intended for dumping, then when reading the memory card, all I get is '** ERROR reading card **'.

So again, following the instructions, I use the other MiSD>SD Card. Again, '** ERROR reading card **'.

So my question, is the fact that these are MiSD Cards the reasoning behind the DVD Dumper not working? I have looked on multiple forums/threads about using MiSD Cards and alledgedly they work.

Also, to clarify, I have formatted my MiSD Cards with the tool from the WiiKey Config Disc 1.2 setup, and am trying to dump using the WiiKey Config Disc 1.3.

I am about to test out the WiiKey Config Disc 1.2 DVD Dumper to see if it's working, but in the meantime, could this also be the fault, I understand that there was an update to the DVD Dumper on WiiKey Config Disc 1.3, however there was no tools for formatting the SD Cards with this setup, only the WiiKey Config Disc 1.2 setup.

10. nekkron

nekkron Member

Just an update, I have tried; WiiKey Config Disc 1.2 and 1.3, also booting SoftDev's DVD-SD Dumper (Which is supposed to format an SD Card itself). They all result in the same thing '** ERROR reading card**' or 'Cannot find SD Card, insert a SD Card'. At this point, I can only assume that it's the WiiKey SD Adaptor not working.

With some further checking, I have been running GameCube games and saving on a normal GC Memory Card, and Slot A and B work fine, as well as the MiSD Card works in the Wii Menu's via. backing up VC and Game Saves.

I guess the question is; is the WiiKey SD Adaptor at fault, and should I get it replaced?

(if possible, is there any way to check to see if it works without going straght into dumping a DVD?)

11. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

like i said earlier - i have never needed to do it so cnat help anymore. glad you found the prog was on config 1.2 - i couldnt check as i no longer have it - once u get to 1.3 its no use having, i assumed it was on 1.3 but hey i gave you the link to get it from after uploading it for you

maybe try a different sd card

12. nekkron

nekkron Member

Nevermind, got it sorted. It seems like the pads between the GC Memory Port and the WiiKey SD Adaptor weren't touching, so I have had to take out the WiiKey SD Adaptor PCB and put in some padding to jam them together to touch. Dumping well, 4 games so far working 100%.

13. sircivik

sircivik Member

phew, i had the same problem, i was sour. Found this post and ended up cutting a little square out of the package it came in and wedged it under the contact points and it read it fine after!

14. ice2kt

ice2kt Member

I pass the backup from wii to SD card process, but i cant pass to transfer from sd to computer successfully. it always stops in 1.5GB or less. any thought about this? I using 2GB SD card.

15. emmad266

emmad266 Member

Does this mean it doesnt matter which chip you are using? or does it have to be a Wiikey

16. Joe314

Joe314 Member

I too would like to know if you NEED to have the Wiikey in order to use the SD Dump ultility or if any mod chip like the d2ckey works as well.

I will of course keep searching these forums for an answer but if someone knows, I'd appretiate a message....

Joe

17. y2j514

y2j514 Member

I used to have a wiikey, but now I use a wasabi. I'm not 100% sure, but for some reason I remember trying the wiikey config disc in my wii with my wasabi - and it didnt load the disc. Which would ultimately mean that you need the wiikey to use that utility. There are other utilities to use like softdev's sddvd01g, but I haven't figured out how to use it. In the readme it says to run the dol anyways you like - I'm not experienced with homebrew so I just installed the homebrew channel - but it won't load through there. So I guess I have to do the TP hack - but I don't know how.

18. Joe314

Joe314 Member

I would love to know your results. I now have a compatible ripping drive but I still like the idea of ripping via the Wii and SD card and playing around is what it's all about.

-Joe

19. y2j514

y2j514 Member

I figured it out last night. Here is how I did it.

First I looked everywhere but I found this to be easiest:

1) Get a Sd dumb program - I am using Sddvd01g
    2) Make a GC self booting disc Click here for all the resources and info how
    Once you have that done its basically just follow the onscreen instructions. I did run into a little trouble compiling the disc, but its easily fixed - when running the batch file, or entering your own dos command make sure to run it as an administrator.

-----

So now that thats done, I stick the disc in the wii - run the disc everything works find. I get the 1st slice of the game on my sd card. I take it to my laptop and dry to drag and drop it onto my desktop - I get the message "Invalid MS-Dos Function" and it can't copy...I've tried tons of other ways ans I cant get it...tried zipping it, using power iso and a virtual drive and no luck. But I tried the sd card in my sisters laptop running WinXP and it works, so I try my home desktop computer running Vista and it works. I don't know why my laptop wont let me copy it...I'm running Vista Ultimate anyone have any ideas why?

20. y2j514

y2j514 Member

Ok so I decided to use my home computer rather than fight with stuff at the moment. So I was taking the chunks from my wii to my home desktop computer. Everything was working fine until the 3rd chunk (I'm using a 2gb SD card). When it reached 100% I got an error - saying it cant read the disc, and it started all over. I'm trying again, but I'm sure this is a bug and not a real error. Does anyone know of any other utilties that do the samething other than sddvd01g by softdev. Thanks