1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Block the New Drive-by Exploits

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by 2oldGeek, Feb 6, 2014.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You are welcome. I do a lot of testing of security and privacy software and try to share when I can. Avast has made some big leaps and I find that Avast 2014 is the best FREE AV and better than most commercial paid av’s.
    I don’t hate IE, just hate the fact that I am sometimes forced to use an inferior browser for certain things and can’t just delete it from my operating system. Lol
    I’m big on privacy and do not use Chrome because it’s made by Google who has shown absolutely no concern for your privacy. Firefox is my preference with Adblock Edge that blocks the Google Ads that Adblock Plus lets through. Also use Self Destructing Cookies, Disconnect and AnonymoX to avoid ANY Tracking..

Stay Safe,
    2oG

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

For personal use I have Firefox and adblock, but don't worry about google because of an access point I flashed with DD-WRT used as a vpn. google analytics thinks my location is 300miles away so that's my method of anonymity.

I have no issues letting friends use chrome because they can't be bothered with all.the steps you or I might take to stay safe so i must find the happy middle ground.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Have been using Firefox since it's conception and have no intention of changing..
    Chrome is now the most used browser so Google has a lot of subjects to keep up with. lol

I try to determine what my customers are comfortable with and then show them how to tighten it for security and privacy. As you say, happy middle ground.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

2old, this post is quite timely. I have been using one of the script blockers for a few weeks. I browse the web with the browser sandboxed. This is by last bastion of defense. Nothing is supposed to get that far. My browser was attacked about the time you posted this. So I added another layer of defense. The script is a huge pain in the ass! I was seriously planning to remove it until I was attacked again from of all places Hotmail. The url was a bizarre one and some how it had partial permission to run scripts so I blocked it. I am liking that blocker a lot more. I like that each tab page is handled separately. I had 4 tab pages with only one page allowing any scripts to run.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. aldan

aldan Active member

using noscript mez?

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes, I use FireFox.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Firefox is not a script blocker...

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Avast is the only AV with a real time script blocker. and it works.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

I will post this again since I can't see my first post and hope I don't see a double post after I post this one.

Yes I use FireFox so I am using noscript. I like having a clue where the attack is coming from.

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

NoScript is a pain in the pa-toot if you use it while cruising the internet; you have to be up to the task of digging through scripts on every new site you visit to figure out which ones will make the site even work properly. Just use the script filter in Avast..

11. Mez

Mez Active member

2old I am using free avast and I think I am using the current version. I didn't see a script blocker. I do have the avast plug-in on the browser. I guess I am missing something...

12. Mez

Mez Active member

2-old I am not saying I am not crazy but I was answering the question was I using noscript. My second post was more clear.

13. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks 2old I will look into the filter.

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I'm just being too fast.. lol Yes, Avast has a Script shield included in the file and web shields.

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

it turns on with the others...

16. aldan

aldan Active member

reason i asked mez is i used to use it with ff and yes it was a real pain sometimes.im liking my avast.lol

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

aldan, are you using MBAE beta? exploit blocker..

18. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I have MBAE v0.10 alpha and it never catches anything on my machine, no matter how hard I try to get infected. either that or it's catching it and just don't want to tell me.. lol

19. aldan

aldan Active member

not using it but i will have a gander.

20. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You can find the beta searching for malwarebytes anti exploit probly ver 0.09. it has a little bug but nothing bad. I've got the newest alpha but I don't think they have let the link out since it's still in alpha stages. it's doing great, i'll see if I can get the link to it if you want it..