1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to burn a dvd-9 disk to two dvd-5 discs using DVD-Shrink?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bartsimso, Feb 12, 2005.

1. bartsimso

bartsimso Member

How to burn a dvd-9 disk to two dvd-5 discs using DVD-Shrink?Dont want to compress.

Thanks in advance

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I would surmise that if you want to burn the whole thing, it is because you want more than the movie only. But an exact copy of the original, like with working menus, is not going to be possible anyway, so the best thing to do is to do a movie only to one dvd, and then put all the extras on the other. You won't have menus with either though, unless you go another route and use authoring software that can create menus.

Edit: I should have read more slowly, as I missed the statement about "don't want to compress" the first time around. Even a "movie only" burn to one dvd is likely to involve some compression, but probably not enough to notice. You are not going to get anything with no compression at all. Even the originals on the dvd9 will have some compression. What you want to do is minimize or avoid any additional compression.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  4. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Bartsimso

I regularly put certain DVD-9s on 2 DVD-5 disks.

I usually put the actual movie on the first disk (reauthor, movie title only - no menues, extras, etc) and a lot of the time there is little if any additional compression need by Shrink.

On the second disk, I simply use the "still image" option under the compression setting for the main movie title. This gives me everything, menues, extras, trailers, etc., but the actual movie. Shrink never has to add additional compression and you retain all the menu linking.

If just want the movie, nothing else, and it won't fit on a DVD-5 without further compression, then you reauthor the main movie title, select the preview option, use the start/stop chapter indicators to select which chapters you want on the first DVD-5, burn that DVD-5, then start all over and the select the remaining chapters. Once in a great while I follow this procedure.

As you can see I'm pretty lazy - I'll do the quick and dirty approach over some elegant every time. Besides, single layer blanks are dirt cheap, while dual layer blanks are so expensive, thus using 2 disks makes perfect economic sense.

5. ejmd

ejmd Member

Yeah, single layer dvds are dirt cheap (25 for a fiver), but dual layer discs are ridculously expensive (five for £25!).

Because I don't want to blow £25 on five blanks, I'm looking for a way to 'convert' a 7GB title to two single layer dvds, *complete with functioning menus*.

Is DVD-Shrink the way to go, or should I be looking at another app for this?

6. Bruce999

Bruce999 Regular member

You cannot maintain the original menus if you split the disc using DVDShrink. As soon as you choose to reauthor, DVDShrink will force you to either "loose" the menus, or to convert them to a still frame image (a non-working menu.)

My own method (which does NOT maintain menus), is to split it similarly to what others describe. However, I NEVER compromise on compression. I choose to use no compression at all, no matter what.

First, i choose re-author, and drag just the main title (the movie) to be rippped. IF it will all fit, then fine. If it will not, then i go into the "Chapter Select" option, and find a chapter break so I am ripping as much as will safely fit onto Disc 1.

Then, I go back, and do a second rip. This time, I change the Chapter selections, so I get the entire remaining part of the film. I then drag all of the "Extras" so that they will follow the Main Movie, on Disc 2. On playback, after the film is over, all of the extras play automatically. If I need to find them, I can just use the "Skip to Next Chapter" on my DVD player's remote control.

I end up with:
    -No compression (beyond what was on the original); my copies look and sound exactly as good or bad as the original;
    -Everything which is of interest to me, including all extras, and any commentaries, and any DTS tracks, etc.
    -No menus, which I do not give a rat's poterior about anyway.

This works for me. As to what programs will let you keep menus, and split it out, hopefully someone else will chime in.

-Bruce

7. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Wow, thanks for the great info. I have had several movies (main movie), that were fully compressed by Shrink, and it still would not fit on 1 dvd. I had looked at the "re-author", but couldn't figure it out, until now. In fact, even DvdXcopy could not copy it.

Anyway, thanks again,

Rich

8. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

One of the members here wrote a guide to do no compression and put a DVD-9 on 2 DVD-5'd w/ menus on both DVD's. You need 3 programs: Vobblanker, DVDDecrypter, and DVDShrink. Now this is more work than I care to do but you can do it.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/vobblanker.html

9. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

If you want to split the movie and have the menus use ifoedit. I split T3, and the StarWars Trilogy using ifoedit and it works fine. You will need a guide for this method and you will also need DVDdecrypter to rip the files to your HD but it works great. You could also use DVDshrink to fit it on one DVD with menus if the movie is small enough, just select still images for the extras and cut out the audio you don't want. I have had many movies to fit this way cause I like having the menus also. My first choice is DVDshrink then if I can't fit the movie with menus on one DVD then I go to ifoedit for splitting. Both of these methods you do have working menus and no compression but keep in mind you may have to cut out certain things like extras, languages and audio in order for it to fit. What I do sometimes is put my movie with menus on one DVD and extras with menu on another DVD. Just remember with DVDshrink don't choose re-author or that will cut out you menus. Like to hear if you have any success.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  10. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Berkner80,

Thanks, I will do that, if I run into another movie that Shrink will not handle due to it's largeness, I will for sure give this software a try.
    Funny thing is, I used to have software that ALWAYS copied a DVD with 1 click, and no compression, but always to 2 dvd's. I hated the 2 dvd's, so I stopped using it when I found out about Shrink, now I wish I had it for those movies that are too large, even after compression, to fit on 1 disk. I some how did not install it when I went to a new computer, and now I cannot find it.

Anyway, many thanks,

Rich