1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to burn an .avi to a VCD??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by JeffBlaz, Jan 27, 2005.

1. JeffBlaz

JeffBlaz Member

Hi um, I'm new just joined, anyaways. I tried burning a .avi to a VCD using Nero 6 but while encoding I received an error. So I then used a program called #1 Video Converter to convert it to Mpeg-2(Not knowing which one to choose from). When it was finally done converting the file came up to be 4.34 GB!! The original file was 669MB and I didn't think thre would be a big change in file size after conversion. Is there a way I can onvert the .AVI file and not make the filesize bigger? What I mean is, I don't want to change the quality or anything. I just want to convert the .avi to an mpeg. I don't want a change in file size or anything. Is there a way I can fit this file onto a VCD? By the way, I bet you can tell I'm new to this video converting stuff... Anyways, thanks for the help.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

First, as I told thousand times, DO-NOT-USE-NERO-FOR-VIDEO-CONVERSIONS. First,as I wrote in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/110106 , encode AVI --> MPG (mpeg-1 for VCD, mpeg-2 for SVCD) or AVI --> (CD1.MPG and CD2.MPG if total time > 80'(VCD) / 50' (SVCD)) with TMPGenc. After that, you can use Nero. Note that Size(AVI) is NOT = 'length'. You can have a 2h movie (over 1.3 GB MPEG-1, once decoded) in a 700 MB AVI!

The same is for SVCDs. But yo have to learn a little about VBR (and only 50' SVCD fit into a CD-ROM; that is, about 50' movie = 800 MB MPEG-2).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005