1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to burn an image file to a double layer dvd?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Imacreep, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Hello, I am a newbie here in the forums. I have some knowledge of backing up dvds in a mac but I don't know much doing it in a PC. I went throug the guides, but I havent been able to locate a similar issue. How can I burn an image file from a movie DVD9 to a Double layer DVD+R.
    I tried to do it using Image Burn, 1Click DVD Copy Pro, but it didn't work. Actually same thing happens with regular dvd5 image files. After burning it does play in the computer but not in my stand alone dvd players. I wonder if is because I am using Windows Vista or my dvd burner is not working well.
    I tried to back up movies using a laptop with windows xp and using the same softwares mentioned early and I have more succes than in my desktop with vista. My PC is a Dell XPS 410. I would appreciate if someone helps.
    Thanks

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

this sounds like a media issue. here are some tips:
    there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

some other things to know:
    the best DL disk is Verbatim... but stay away from the ones made in India! And playing a burned DL disk on some players.... they are picky! make sure to booktype your +R media to make it more compatible to players! that's important. but some players are picky on where the DL has it's break to the second layer. ImgBurn is very good with picking out where the best point for the second layer should begin!
    here is a guide for you:
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4643

3. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Thanks for your advise. I basicaly cover all the point you describe. I have used verbatim dl. It worked when I burned in a mac, but when I tried in my desktop with vista it ruined. I tried burned with ImgBurn and 1 click dvd. I read the guides already that the reason I was asking here in the forums.
    Yes I burned at the lowes speed because I am not in any hurry.
    I have read the manuals of my players. Sometimes they play sometimes they don't. The main player that I want the discs to play id a Samsung theater system that plays only DVD-R/RW, therefore I just use DVD- media. However the double layer that I burned with a mac played perfectly fine. You would wonder why then I don't just use the mac, well because it is broken, so I bought a new PC.
    I don't use DVD+R.
    I use clean new discs.
    I wonder if is a problem with Windows Vista or is a problem with my burner. I called Dell and guided me through a hardware check up or something like that and they asured me that the burner is not the problem, but I do not trust them.
    I have used the same softwares in a laptop with windows XP and had better results. That means that I bought a new machine that doesn't work better thatn an old one?
    Again any advise would be appreciate it. thanks again.

PS sorry for the spelling.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

then I guess it could be Vista...... do search on this site for Vista problems and check out what they say.

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Were these Verbs +R DL?

What specific brand of SL discs have you tried? Use this app to get the real maker.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Post the model of your current burner, Unfortunately DELL usually uses specially made burners that are usually not as full featured as their brandmates.

6. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Yes, the discs were verbatim DVD+DL

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MKM-001-000]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD-ROM]
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
    Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
    Media Type ID : [001]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [2.4x]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

This is my DVD burner model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H31N – [FW B109] – [ATAPI]

Advise is appreciate it. Thanks

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@Imacreep.......I'm kind of confused here. First you say:
    and I responded that you should Booktype your drive to recognize your +R media to be DVD-ROMs that is more recognized by players! You're response is:
    which lead to me believe that you only burn -R media and therefore you can't booktype -R media! you dismissed everything I told you and yet you show that you ARE burning +R media..... the Verbatims are DVD+R DL media, which means you CAN booktype your drive to make the disks act like DVD-ROMs which will fool your player that it's a store bought DVD and be more compatible to the player! but don't take my account about booktyping.... ask others..... and yes Vista does cause problems sometimes with it's DRM...... some members say that they are having problems with Vista and others say they don't. I guess it's certain versions of Vista that causes problems and that's why I am staying away from it!

New advice........ same as the old advice...... Your drive is an LG drive: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2381 and your firmware is up-to-date. so booktype your drive using ImgBurn....... go to TOOLS/DRIVE/CHANGE BOOKTYPE and scroll down to DVD+R DL media under the LG tab! make sure your drive is selected and then change to DVD-ROM...... this will make your drive record all +R media as DVD-ROMs. try it what have you got to lose!!!!

9. soup1

soup1 Member

I agree.

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Ain't gonna happen, this DELL drive has been crippled and it appears to not be able to booktype. Note that bitsetting is NOT listed under:

Connection
    Buffer, Bit

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/lg-gsa-h31n/1848

Here's a normal LG that does bitset:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/lg-gsa-h50n/2067

If you want to take a walk on the wild side cross flash it to a GSA-H30N which does appear to bitset.

http://www.hardware.info/en-US/productdb/bGNkbZibmJXK/viewproduct/LG_GSAH30N/

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=208448

It's a shame that DELL always seems to do this.

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@MysticE......... I have the infamous Philips 8631 that was installed in my Dell XPS that I bought almost 3 yrs or so ago. Most members with the same drive had lots of trouble with them...... I guess I was luck to buy the computer after many customers complained to Dell about this drive..... the firmware update was done and corrected all the problems this drive was causing! maybe calling up Dell and complaining about this drive that Imacreep has will cause them to either give the customer a new drive or do SOMETHING about it....... like freeing it up so it can booktype! After all it's a modified LG drive and should be able to booktype!

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Seems worth a try, but Dell's been doing this for awhile. The shame is it makes LG drives look bad, they are actually good drives which seem to handle a wide range of media well. Both my LG and BenQ bitset, but I still prefer -R media (I know you don't). But unfortunately for DL, +R and bitsetting is mandatory (as you well know). So complaints may be in order to get DELL to see the DL light.

13. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

OK, maybe I wasn't very clear. Sorry for being a little confusing. I had a Power Mac G4 that came with a combo drive that just burned DVD-R/RW. I used TDK media dvds - and all my copies worked perfectly. It was easy to do it. Ripped and decripted with DVD backup, compress with DVD2OneX and burn with Toast. All the copies were able to play in stand alones DVD players. Also, I have a Dell laptop that play and burn all formats including DVD+DL. I used the laptop to burn double layers using ImgBurn or 1clickdvd Pro. Imgburn was better, 1click gave me some problems. With imgburn I didn't change the booktype that you guys mentioned. I just used the default setting and the double layer copies worked fine in all my stand alone players.
    Well My mac died so I decided to buy a Dell XPS that came with vista which I didn't know much. So now that I tried to copy/burn any ISO image or a VIDEO_TS folder in this new dell It doesn't work. I have wasted many dvds. I kept using DVD- media for the compatibility with my stand alone DVD players. Of course for double layers I have used DVD+dl verbatim.

14. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Yes the discs that I have used with the mac are the same that I have used in the new PC. I haven't tried changing the booktype because I don't have any DL discs right now but I just ordered some, but I was thinking that this new pc doesn't only ruin the DLs but also the regular discs.
    And yes my Samsung Home theater system said to play DVDs-. However the copies I made on DL+R in my laptop windows XP play perfectly fine and I don't recall to have to set up the booktype to DVD-ROM. Now is the first time I hear about being able to do that. So besides using DVD+R DL for single layers I use DVD-R.
    I really appreciate all the advises. I am learning alot about drivers and DVDs. All you guys have have different ideas but still I don't know what to do. Im going to try again when I get the DLs. Mean while Do you guys think that I should call dell and complain and maybe ask for a burner that is like the one in my laptop that seems to work better than thisone, or because is vista it won't be of much help? Shoul I get ride off Vista and get XP. I work with the Adobe CS3 suites, do you know if I go back to Xp, will adobe CS3 perform the same?
    Would cross flashing it to a GSA-H30N which does appear to bitset harm my computer in some way?
    I hope I haven't confused you more than before. Thanks again.

15. soup1

soup1 Member

I have both XP & Vista on seperate drives. I have burnt SL & DL on both, so far with no problems. If you choose to crossflash, it does void the warranty on your drive, but if successful you would then be able to booktype not only Dvd+R SL, but also Dvd+R DL to Dvd-Rom which is the profile of a commercial Dvd, thereby fooling most standalone's in to thinking that your backup is one.

16. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Ok. I am still having problems with the burning thing, but I have a question. What software would you guys recommend to burn ISO images and what software would be to burn TS_VIDEO files into a Single layer DVD and Double layer DVD? Or can you guys refer me to the right forum? thanks

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

>>> IMGBURN all 3 <<<

18. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Well technically your PC would be fine, however there is is a possibility of turning your ROM into a chunk of worthless metal.

Here is my take if you have the funds for a new drive, I say chance the flash. If it ruins the drive then you can buy a new drive(although i wonder if you may be able to flash it back to the original firmware) that will allow bit set. I personally like Lite On.

19. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I got stuck with a 8631 on my Dimension 3000 and it has rarely ever given me problems and this comes from some one with over a 1,000 successfully burns.