1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Burn Dual Layer Game On A Single Layer DVD-R

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chaos321, Feb 18, 2005.

1. chaos321

chaos321 Guest

I Am trying to backup the dvd game that came with my xbox it has topspin and amped 2 in it but i cant back it up because it is like 5.25 gb!i dont have any dual layer dvds because there real pricey so how can i back up this game on to a Single Layer DVD-R? or 2 single layer dvd's? if i cant do that can i burn both the games on seperate dvds that will work?

please help newbie in xbox burning!!

2. Artlover

Artlover Member

Within the confines of what is possible for most of us to do. About all you can really do is look for useless files and delete them. Dashboard updates, alternate language files, demos for other games, etc..

Depending on what kind of video files the game uses, you can downsample them to a lower color depth, lower resolution, drop frames and junk like that to free up some space. It can get time consuming, and the results arn't always worth it.

As for making a game span across dvd's. The rip groups have the skill to make those kinds of program modifications, but most of the rest of us dont. I know I don't. So that's not really much of an option for the layman.

For the most part, you're really better off just replacing your HD to something bigger, and copying games to that. Saves you media, makes accessing the games more convienent, and they load faster.

3. Artlover

Artlover Member

Also, do you mean to say that you have a game disc that contains both Topspin and Amped 2 on the same disc? In a case like that, it is actually easy to split it up across dvd-r's. Just a matter of looking through the directories to find which ones hold each game, as each game will likely be in it's own subdir off the root dir. You could copy just the files/dir's from the specific game dir and build an xiso out of them for burning to dvd-r. Then do the same for the other game.

4. chaos321

chaos321 Guest

yes it is both games on one dvd i tried burning them seperate but my xbox cant read my dvd-r's ritek ridata 4x inkjet printable i have a philips drive please help me!

5. Artlover

Artlover Member

Well, there is a guide at the top of the thread on ripping & burning xbox games. I'd suggest you read through that for some pointers.

In a nutshell however, basicly, make sure you're burning each individual game correctly. Whatever subdir each game is in would equal being the root directory of your burned disc. Also, you can't just copy the files to a disc and run it in an xbox. You need to copy the files to your PC first, run something like "xiso" on them to make an xbox compatable iso image, and burn that.

Again, read that sticky thread at the top of this forum group, it explains all this stuff in detail.

6. vixen76

vixen76 Member

i have been to this site and it has what files you dont need on a game..

http://www.maverex.net/xbox/index.php

i have also used mgs2_2disk to make my games go on two disks..

hope this helps...

7. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

If you have a multigame of 2 games, all you need to do is extract with craxtion or qwix.
    The games extracted will be called game1 and game2, you can ignore the other stuff in the folder.
    re-create the game1 file as an iso with qwix or craxtion , then do the same for game2
    If you want to put them on your hdd, you dont need to create the iso, after extraction, just drag em over. They wont need patching as they will already have been patched during the iso creation.
    Regarding files you dont need in games, there are several games with files that can be removed. Its usually demos, Live files, languages, movies etc (Ive remove movie files as a last resort, some you cant just remove, usually the endings etc that you can)
    or you can get mega expensive DL discs (dual layer) and a DL burner!..personally the discs are ridiculously high priced at the moment, and to me thats not an option.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  8. chaos321

chaos321 Guest

thanxs for the help but i already figured it out!!