1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to burn dvd's downloaded from internet

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by aname, Mar 20, 2007.

1. aname

aname Member

I have downloaded some movies in mpg format from the internet and I don't know how to burn them to a dvd. I have a dvd+/-rw burner with vista home basic operating system. They play on the Windows media player. And I have dvd+r 16x memorex brand blank disks.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Not exactly a good choice of media. If the files are DVD compliant, you open the files in your backup program and let it do the transcoding and then burn. If you need conversion, use Nero Vision.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Seeing how the files are in mpeg format you will need to convert them. Here is a guide that will show you the whole process from start to finish DivXtoDVD guide

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

first things first before you try to make your movie, make sure that the mpeg files are all there, run the files through g-spot to be sure, the files will need to be converted to dvd format convertxtodvd will do the trick for you, also as the other poster pointed out the media that you have chosen is not the best to use, good luck

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

As the "other poster" here, I think we need to ask a question before jumping to conclusions. I suspect MPG got shortened from MPEG. Normally MPEG refers to MPEG2 which is DVD compliant. In which case the files are already in the DVD Format. But we'd best ask:

aname
    Did you mean MPEG and if so, which of the MPEG formats?

Besides the DVD, MPEG2, there is also MPEG4 which includes DivX. So it depends.

VSO's old DivXtoDVD was replaced by ConvertXtoDVD. I used them both and they're good programs, I still have ConvertXtoDVD loaded. The VSO trialware marks the video whereas the Nero trial doesn't. As I mentioned Nero Vision is another good program. It just depends on what you have. A lot of people own Nero and don't understand they have one of the better conversion programs in the suite. Let us know which MPEG format it is and we'll be more able to give help.

When in doubt, I guess open the files in Nero Vision and see what comes out. ;)

6. aname

aname Member

Thank you for the suggestions. The file type I assume is mpg, it does not say anything else. This is an example: Borat The Movie (Full) 719.MB MPG. I tried to drag and burn and it wouldn't play in my DVD player. But the movie will play on the Windows media player. So I assume I need to convert the file to DVD format. I have no idea what I am doing. Sorry to be a pest. I will try the Nero trial version as you suggested and see what happens.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Pretty easy. Once you open Nero Vision select Make DVD-DVD Video. Close the tips and under What would you like to do? on the right, select Add Files and then add your files. If you pay attention and view what's there, the program is intuitive.

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

aname
    I'm curious how this comes out in Vista, which has the added DRM. Some software won't work unless it's in XP compatible mode. That's what one Vista user said. Let us know how it goes.

10. aname

aname Member

Thank you all so much. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully I can figure this out and enjoy some movies.

11. aname

aname Member

Thanks so much for recommending Nero. If the trial version works this good I can't wait to buy the original. Every movie I have downloaded in mpeg format, converted, burned and played. No problems. Have not tried to copy dvd's yet. That will be my next project. Again, thanks so much for the help. Vista and Nero have gotten along so far...:)

12. aname

aname Member

One more quick question. What media do you recommend I use? I am still a bit confused on all the different ones. Thank you.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden

The + or the - it really isn't to important on that just make sure you get a good quality brand. Oh and the R will be more compatible with stand alone players than the more expensive RW's

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Not many of the older standalone players support RW at all. A lot of the newer standalones, including some of the cheap ones, support it. My Philips plays them just as well as the R and my burners have no problems. I use the +R for cost efficiency and for broadest compatibility. +R will booktype to DVD ROM and the -R won't. Not a big deal with the newer players, but there's a few that prefer the ROM over another format and DVD ROM is the universal player format for all DVD drives. Most of the major brands with made in Japan on the label are a decent bet. The Sony +R MIJ are Taiyo Yuden. The made in Taiwan is manufactured by Sony and has worked as well as the TYs on my system. So, I can run out and find Sony +R on most shelves (MIJ and/or MIT). Verbatim sells Mitsubishi (MCC) and Taiyo Yuden (TY) as their made in Japan DVDs. Verbatim does sell production from elsewhere, but are usually good media. I've bought MIJ that were Ricohjpn. I liked those and used a lot of them sold under the Memorex, Verbatim, and Imation labels. I no longer trust Memorex and Imation because they now sell a lot of media made by questionable manufacturers, i.e. Daxon and CMC.

My quick recommendations are Verbatim and Sony +R (+R only with Sony), and most name brands if manufactured in Japan. Taiyo Yuden can be found sold under its own name. I've not found them very often on the shelf, but they are easily located online. ID each batch of media you get so you know what you're using. Brands don't always tell the story.

By the way, you're welcome. The trial Nero is the same as the retail. So, you know what you're buying, plus your work with the trial isn't wasted.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  15. mybarras

mybarras Member

sony-r 8x burn at 12x bonus!!!!!!look for made in japan tho!!!!!
    used them for a year now not one coaster,and yes burning at 12x,dvd burner sony drx-710ul best burner out their in my opinion.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Glad you used the "in my opinion". I like my Plex real well. Slower media is getting harder to find, so I wouldn't rely on a good supply of 8X as the industry has moved to 16X. On some media my system will overburn, though for video I refrain. On that to each his own. Even with 16X I rarely burn over 8X. It's not worth the gamble with write errors when only a few minutes are saved.

17. aname

aname Member

Thanks for the suggestions on media. Now what are the costs? Is it better to spend the extra or get the cheaper ones? I want the most cost efficient ones that I can purchase due to my limited funds. LOL

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The problem is if you buy cheap and they don't work. Then you've lost the cost of that batch of media. I prefer buying quality media on sale. Shop the net or places like Best Buy or Sams. Good media doesn't have to be expensive. Plus you usually save buying in bulk. Your choice. Do you like to gamble?

19. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Its always better to buy good media cheap then to buy crap media cheap,
    ur best bet to get the best deals IMO are online.

Like at
    Supermediastore.com (my favorite place)
    Newegg.com
    Meritline.com
    Rima.com

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  20. aname

aname Member

Thanks for the suggestions. You have all made this a much easier, and joyfull experience for a first timer.