1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to burn dvd's such as Alias...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DDRichie, Jan 17, 2005.

1. DDRichie

DDRichie Guest

Hey. I am using the latest versions of DVD shrink and dvd decryptor. Now my question comes to when the dvds i want to back up are more than 120 minutes long, such as the alias dvds and king arthur which is like 134 minutes. how do i go abut backing these up? Would someone mind giving me a step by step guide?

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

With DVD Shrink you can easily squeeze your movie onto a 4.7 GB Disc.
    Read the guides on this site and you will have no problems at all.
    Lets know if you get stuck.

3. DDRichie

DDRichie Guest

which guide? i have read many posts and guides and i dont understand them. some say to cut out extras and all that, but i would like to keep it all. ??? also, the dvd'r's that i am using verbatim, it says that it could record up to 360 minutes, how do i do that as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
  4. bardie

bardie Regular member

If you want to keep the whole contents of the disc then that is fine. Just let DVD Shrink open the disc then click on backup and this will copy the entire disc, no problems. Once you have copied the data to your hard drive you can use DVD Decrypter to then burn your files from the hard drive, your verbatim discs are big enough to squeeze it on.
    If you look up above to the top of this page you will see 'guides', you would benefit if you read the guides that talk about DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter.

5. jorge2332

jorge2332 Member

I am a dvd shrink fanatic and I proud to say that I've backup about 400 dvd movies using only dvd shrink. I also keep the extra's and the bonus material that comes along with the movies. Shrink basically cuts out the unnecessary extra stuff that you might not need. I have recently copied alot of tv shows that are now on dvd like sienfield, the simpsons, and the family guy using dvd shrink and had no problems except for time that it actually took to burn. Reason being cause it has alot hours in each dvd which causes to take more time to encode. Dvd shrink stands for what its name after, it basically shrinks any movie to fit any dvd (+&-) r's or rw's. If you still need the step by step guide to dvd shrink just go to the search option at the top of the page and type dvd shrink guide and it will give the results you need. I hope I was helpful. Post your results to let us know how you made out.

6. FartDude

FartDude Guest

DDRichie, U say that on the dvdrs u have they say that they can hold up too 360mins right? thats if u have a DVD recorder stand alone that is kinda like a vcr.

7. FartDude

FartDude Guest

For a computer burner u havta go by the size of the disc and not the recording time. the ones u have are probably 4.7 GB, just run the latest version of dvd shrink, and compress your movie and dont take anything out, and also use the quality improvment settings in shrink this will help the output quality of your compressed dvd. then of course open nero and burn away.

8. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

I feel your pain. Copying episodic DVD's such as Alias and other TV series can be problematic. As a rule, there are usually 4 episodes per DVD. This equates to 4 X 42 minutes = 168 minutes (2 hrs. 48 mins). Not counting any special features that might be included in the set. It has been my experience that DVD Shrink may not be the best solution, assuming you want the best quality possible. To get the best quility possible it is necessary to split the DVD into 2 DVD's so that there are two episodes per DVD. The problem doing this with DVD Shrink is that you cannot preserve the menus. Big problem. Unless you want to skip chapters until you find the next episode. A better solution would be a program that will allow you to split the DVD onto two DVD's and keep the special features AND the menus! There are two excellent programs that will do this with no problem. One is [bold]CloneDVD 2[/bold]. I have used this software for some time and really like it. Another program that really works well is [bold]DVDfab[/bold] http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-fab.htm I find this to be the most elegant solution. It will split an episodic DVD very easily. It is wizard driven. It will keep all the menus and special features. And because two episodes will fit on a DVD easily you get 100% quality.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
  9. Stry-Ker

Stry-Ker Member

i have found that by putting on dvd on 2 discs is good. I only use shrink to split it. On both discs i keep the menus, however the 2 episode i dont want on that disc and make into "still images" that way you still have the menus. And still et great quality!

10. DDRichie

DDRichie Guest

So you're saying that i can run dvd shrink and put in king arthur or say a disk of alias or seinfield and push the backup and it will automatially compress it for me to fit my verbatim 4.7 gb dvd-r?

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hey Their DDRichie:Yep thats what they are all tellin YA!
    But they did leave out one thing!!In the drop down MENU's(just take a minute & click on the various tabs & have a look,you'll find out a few thing u can change to your likeing) where it tells u to save to hard-drive,you can select your DVD-Burner.DVDShrink will burn your DVD for u useing Nero if u have it on your computer