1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change custom XMB icons on 3.03 OE-C (Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by elperuano, Feb 2, 2007.

1. elperuano

elperuano Member

Hello this is my first tutorial, I was looking for this information and took me 3 days, to get all the info you need to change the XMB icons of your PSP for custom made icons, so I guess maybe somebody else is looking for it ..so here we go...
    In this thread i am gonna compile apps and instructions on how to fully customise your psp. Remember that if you follow the instructions carefuly you dont have to worry about bricking your psp. I strongly recommend to use them with dark alex's custom firmware installed (3.0XOE any revision) as well as testing the files with devhook before flashing them into your PSP

1.- Download from here :
    http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49760
    the ICONZ.RAR folder and extract the files to anywhere in your PC (desktop maybe??)

2.- Create your topmenu_plugin.rco
    doubleclick the topmenu.exe in the topmenu generator folder
    *choose your firmware (choosing 3.02 OE will work for 3.03 OE-A')
    *now choose your icons by clicking on the "browse" button and choosing the icon your want
    *after you picked out your six icons, press the "create" button
    *then a folder should pop up with your custom topmenu_plugin.rco

3.- Connect your PSP to your PC with the USB cable

4.- Press the R trigger and at the same time turn on you PSP, in order to work you must before take out your battery of the PSP to made sure you are coming from a hard reset and not from sleep mode

5.- You are now on recovery menu (blue background), scroll down to Advanced and press X >>> scroll down to Toggle USB (flash0) and press X >>> a box shoul pop up in your PC (removable disk)>>> open folder to view files

6.-Open vsh folder >>> open resource folder >>> drag here you newly created custom topmenu_plugin.rco , they will ask to replace say YES..when finish scroll up to back and press X , and then scroll down to exit and press X the PSP will restart and voila...new XMB icon..

NOTE - some members have reported after they created and flash their topmenu_plugin.rco that it was not the icons they choose.
    *To fix this, after you have chosen your icons and pressed the "create" button on the topmenu generator, delete that topmenu_plugin.rco, and press "create" again and use the new topmenu_plugin.rco

Hope this help

2. ricojeans

ricojeans Member

can your tutorial use on 3.03 oec???

3. elperuano

elperuano Member

Yes not a problem I did mine...

4. ricojeans

ricojeans Member

how about 3.03 OEB can i use same tutorial

5. elperuano

elperuano Member

Yes 0E-A 0E-B OE-C all are OK ...

6. smiffer

smiffer Guest

did this work for any of you guys then? with no probs? i am on 3.03oe-c wanna change icons just wanna check its all good first before using tutorial thanks ;)

7. dukeidude

dukeidude Regular member

great guide. thanks a lot. im about totry it right now, but before i do, does anyone know an easy way how to changes the words of the XMB and the font? thanks

8. smiffer

smiffer Guest

well waited for a reply.. and got itchy fingers and just done it anyway ....and IT WORKS BRILLIENT on the 3.03oe-c
    so thanks alot "elperuano" really good guide

9. Kazangwa

Kazangwa Regular member

Thanks, I never knew you could actually access flash via USB. Makes it much easier than XFlash, and it gets rid of the anxiety.

10. elperuano

elperuano Member

very glad you guys like it...thanks a lot

11. chris0101

chris0101 Guest

is there anything like this for the 3.10 OE-A software?

12. elperuano

elperuano Member

sorry Im still on 3.03 but I guess it may work...its the same concept it wont hurt to try ,

13. sinsaint

sinsaint Guest

nice guide, any chance of a guide to change the color of the wave backgound (not that waves themselves)?

14. pspjunior

pspjunior Regular member

this is great guide. i knew how to do it one 1.5 but when i get my psp fixed then im gonna use this! because i dont know how to use the different icons on fw 3.03 oe-c. Thanks! and Nice guide!

15. elperuano

elperuano Member

16. Kavika

Kavika Member

17. elperuano

elperuano Member

thanks for the info I will try it

18. smiffer

smiffer Guest

hey nice one!! think i will have to have a look at this one :p

19. tripletap

tripletap Guest

Definitely need some help...anyone who has the oe-a topmenu_plugin.rco original file, can you please host it so I can unbrick my psp. Apparently not everything copied over when I backed up my flash0 and now I'm hosed. HELP!!

20. tripletap

tripletap Guest

And sorry, let me clarify, that's for oe-a for firmware 3.10, hence the bricking...absolutely appreciate help from anybody. If not hosting the file then a way to get the original topmenu_plugin.rco under vsh\resource in flash0. Thanks