1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to clean PS2 lens? Problem with backup

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by LiquidusZ, Jan 9, 2007.

1. LiquidusZ

LiquidusZ Member

Could somebody post or link to step by step instructions on how to clean the PS2 lens? Thanks.

The reason I'm trying this is because my new backup of Shadow of the Colossus isn't working. I click "new game" and it just freezes at a black screen. In the intro movie, the audio also keeps looping, it'll play a few seconds and then start over. I'm using a fat v7 ps2, with a Verbatim DVD+R burned with a Nec ND-2500A (pretty old, could that be the problem)

2. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

May not be your lens, do other games play normally? It could be the way you have burnt it, it may have been burnt wrong or the .iso you used may have been corrupted. Before jumping to conclusions, make sure you are burning your games correctly and run some tests with other original games.

3. LiquidusZ

LiquidusZ Member

The only other backup I have tried is Final Fantasy XII, which works fine, except the movie skips a bit, but it does play all the way through. I backed both the same way, with alcohol and booktyping it to dvd-rom.

4. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Yeah I'm saying originals. You will always get a bit of skipping in a backed up game because of something to do with the cutscenes. If your lens was dead, you wouldnt be able to get past a loading screen on any game, so I think it may be the .iso that you are using.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

http://www.exploitstation.com/index.php?page=ps2repair
    there is a guide.

But a few things.
    1. just for the record you should not have any skiping on back up games as mentioned above. I have about 300 of them including the game in question here and if they are burned correctly on good quality media then they should play just like the original.
    2. Shadow Of The Colosus, at least the one that i got, plays just fine with no problems at all (back up).
    3. are you sure your model burner is actually booktyping the discs to DVD-Rom? I know that NEC burners usually can but there are ways to test it and make sure.
    http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

Possible causes:
    1. out of date firmware on your burner. Up to date firmware can help with both media compatibility and burn quality.
    http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/8267/
    2. your PS2 is just having problems with those +R discs.
    I doubt this is the case though because Verbatim's are usually very good DVD's.
    3. your burner is old and just getting worn out. Mine did that after about 2 years of burning stuff pretty steady. And had to be replaced.
    Do the firmware first though. Good burners are pretty cheap these days at online stores like Newegg.com, i got my BenQ DW1655 for about $45 and it has been great.
    4. you may have just downloaded a bad copy if you did download it. If it is from an original disc that works fine, then the back up should also work just as well.

6. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Steimy: On every game I have backed up, It skips in certain parts and the cutscenes always lag. I must be doing something wrong in terms of burning? I always burn at the lowest speed, so I was just going by what happens to me. May as well get some help on the matter while I'm here :p

7. steimy

steimy Active member

no problem. A few things you can try.
    They really should not skip at all. It is extremely rare that i
    have ever made one that did not play flawless.

1. get a top quality DVD-R (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim & Philips worked best for me in an 8X DVD-R format)
    2. burn the discs at 4X speed on an 8X DVD-R using DVD Decrypter or IMGburn. Some use Nero but i have not had great results when i used Nero 6.
    3. Look on the net and find the manufacturer site for your burner. They should have a firmware update program. You want to make sure your burner has the latest firmware.
    4. Avoid buying the inkjet printable white top DVD's and unless your burner can booktype a DVD+R to DVD-Rom i would stick to a DVD-R
    5. find a good guide and CAREFULLY clean your PS2 laser

If none of those things work then the only other things i know that could be causing it are a bad DVD burner in your PC
    Or your laser in your PS2 is out of allignment and needs to be adjusted. Usually if your PS2 laser needs to be adjusted you would also have problems with original discs as well.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  8. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

It must have something to do with the way I am burning it. My PS2 is only 4 years old and hasn't been modded and plays normal games fine. Its just with my backups the cutscenes skip and the sound may become unsynced. Thanks for that Steimy.

9. LiquidusZ

LiquidusZ Member

Thanks for the help, updating the firmware on my burner solved the problems for both games

10. steimy

steimy Active member

glad to hear. skippy games can have a few different causes so you just have to try a few things and narrow it down until you sort it all out.