1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Clear Data from a Hard-Drive!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by laredoboy, Mar 30, 2007.

1. laredoboy

laredoboy Guest

Hey anyone know how I can clear off my smaller hard-drive? I cloned all the data from it to my larger hard-drive with Migration Easy.. but I didn't do it manually which would have given me the option of clearing off the data from the smaller hard-drive. Anyone know how I can clear it? I still want to use the hard-drive, so I don't want to toss it out... hehe Thanks a bunch Victoria

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

format the drive

3. laredoboy

laredoboy Guest

HI, C drive which is the smaller drive, won't let me... it says to shut down any disk utilities or programs displaying this drive (C).... I cloned everything to D, drive the bigger drive... now I just want to clean off C drive...where do I go to shut down programs using C drive? Victoria

4. ireland

ireland Active member

Did ye make it slave drive or cable select by changing the jumper on the back of the hard drive..
    and hook it up on the middle connector on ye IDE cable? as c-drive must be on the end of the IDE connector..

5. laredoboy

laredoboy Guest

Hi, I changed it to slave, I think!! I switched the jumper connections on the hard drive... before i switched them the larger drive was the slave. I didn't move the ribbon connections tho.. let me double check...thank you for getting back to me.. will let you know in a couple of minutes Victoria

6. laredoboy

laredoboy Guest

oppppppppssss I thought I switched the jumpers, the small one is still listed as the primary master.... okay let me try again... will get back to you... Tks..

7. laredoboy

laredoboy Guest

Okay I tried to move the little white thingy, which must be the jumper to the middle... and then I restarted my comp or tried to, it asked for a boot disk...I tried the one from Migration Easy that I made prior to cloning the small drive...that didn't work... so let me try again..(trying not to pull out hair) sigh.. thanks will keep this thread posted.. Victoria

8. ddp

if both hd's are on the same cable & you just moved the jumper of the small drive to the middle position which is slave than both drives are jumpered slave & conflict with each other. if larger drive now has windows than jumper it to master & smaller drive as slave so you can now format smaller hd.

9. laredoboy

laredoboy Guest

ahhh okay.... that white thingy is the jumper it is on the smaller drive and second from the right... so I should move it to the larger drive and put it in the middle?
    When I tried to reboot the computer after cloning I got a black window saying that the master and slave drives were dectected but then I got a sentence saying that I needed to insert a bootdisk.. okay I try it!! Thanks Victoria

10. laredoboy

laredoboy Guest

Me again.. This time I took a closer look at the back of the drives... the smaller drive has a white jumper and the bigger drive has a black one... I didn't see the black one before and I had both white and black on the larger drive... duh... lol.. I moved the white one to the middle and the black one to the right of the center.. everything seems to be working fine, except my antivirus is missing, it's Avast and my ZoneAlarm... I am asuming that I have to change the destination drive on them...or reinstall them maybe... now I will try and format the smaller drive... Thank you so much for your help... I will let you know how my progress is going...lol.. I've been at this for a day and a half..Victoria... :)

11. ddp

i do that for a living & hobby so know what you are going thru. i'm in the midst of reloading my windows & stuff after my motherboard crapped out last thursday & just got replacement today.

12. laredoboy

laredoboy Guest

HI, hobby eh...well I do find it empowering to fix my own comp hehehe It sure is alot of work, expecially if you don't get it right the first time...well I cloned back and forth from C to D etc and moved the jumpers then got the blue screen of death... it just wouldnt boot up... so I unplugged the C drive, the smaller one, and WHALA everything started up just fine on the bigger drive..!!! I must be addicted to my comp, cause I sure anxious if I don't have access to it..hehehehe... anyway now I'm going to leave things the way they are for now...I might rehook up the smaller drive.. At least I got to clean the dust from inside of the tower...my gawd it was awfull in there...I'm still coughing ..hehe anyhow thanks for everyones help. Thank goodness for this forum.. Bless you All... Victoria

13. ireland

ireland Active member

LEARN AND THEN TEACH
    cheers

14. ddp

no problem, teach & learn.