1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to close open DVD-R session?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by pete_c, Sep 28, 2004.

1. pete_c

pete_c Member

Hi,

I have a tricky problem that I hope people here can help me with. I have 4 DVD-Rs recorded on a standalone DVD recorder (Sharp, I think) but the guy who recorded them never finalised the discs, so they're unplayable on my PC/DVD player.

Nero recognises the data on the DVD-Rs. See this image for details:

[​IMG]

That reads 3 tracks, no sessions (because the session was never closed, right?). When I click on the button that says "DVDR options" I get an option to "Close VR disc", but when I select that, it starts to write to the disc, but the recorder ejects the DVD-R after 2 or 3 seconds, and Nero tells me I have an "Unspecified Recorder Error".

DVD Decrypter can't access the tracks, tells me the disc is empty. Isobuster can access the data. However, when I extract the ~4 GB track, rename the resulting tao file as an .iso file, and burn it in Nero, I can't play the resulting disc. If I create a cue file in Isobuster, extract all the data, open up the resulting cue file in Nero, I get a 3 track DVD, the last track of which is only ~ 300 MB in size. So that's obviously not the full DVD data I need.

Any suggestions as to how to a) close the DVD-R so that I can view the original DVD-R, or b) extract the DVD data so that I may burn that to another DVD-R and view that?

My DVD Recorder is a Sony DRU 500 A.

Thanks,

Pete

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried to drag and drop the files to your hard drive?
  4. pete_c

pete_c Member

>>Have you tried to drag and drop the files to your hard drive?

Can't see/access any tracks in Windows Explorer - just using Nero & Isobuster.
  5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

D'oh! I must've missed that point. I don't know what to tell then champ.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I do not use Nero but I am sure that I have read/seen/heard someone discuss this type of issue previously.

And believe there is a function within Nero to close sessions, but do not know where it is loacted.

What is located in the dvdr options tab?

I use Recordnow Deluxes Suite 7.2 and this gives me the option of closing/finalising open session discs, so I would assume Nero would have implemented this function also.

There is a 'Nero' member here at Afterdawn, but cannot remember his nick, if anyone knows you could maybe PM him or have a look at http://www.nero.com to see if there are any FAQ's regarding closing sessions.

You could also try just burning a 'dummy' file to it - like an empty folder and this should then give you an option to close/finalise the disc...................
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  7. pete_c

pete_c Member

From my original message:

Before you ask, I'm using the latest Nero (6.3.1.25) and have the latest firmware for my drive.

Is Recordnow Deluxes Suite 7.2 avalable for download as a trial? Maybe that will do a better job of closing the session/disc.
  8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Your best bet is to go to BestBuy with the discs. Put them into one of the sharp dvd recorders and finalize them. Or find someone who has a sharp (or whatever brand your guy used) and finalize them there.

MG
  9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Geez, I guess it pays to FULLY read before answering.............(baabaa is red faced)......sorry.

I don't know whether there is a trail, I purchased mine out right because I have total faith in the Recordnow range and would not use anything else.

It is pretty new, couple of months since it was released.

You could visit http://www.sonic.com to see if it is available for trial, but what I have found in the past, Sonic do not tend to release trials.

worth a go, but may produce a total coaster.......
  10. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Pete-C,

Based on the screenshot you provided of Nero's 'Disc Info' the sesssion is open. There are two ways to close a disc. You can 'Close Session' or you can 'Close Disc'. Closing the session allows the contents to be read on any player, but still allows you to write to the disc in the future. Of course you must be creting a Multisession DVD Disc to close only the session.

Closing the Disc will allow any player to read the disc, but will not allow you to write to the disc again. This is considered as 'Finalizing' the disc. Any write to a DVD with Nero using this option. The only exception is when you Create a Multisession Data DVD, then the disc is not finalized.

To close the disc, from within the 'Disc Info' window just highlight the Session, and two button options will show up in the bottom left of the window. Close Session and Close Disc. I would recommend choosing the Close Disc option.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA
  11. pete_c

pete_c Member

Thanks for the suggestions all. I think, sadly, that mediaguru is the closest to the only solution. Reading about this further, it seems that these stand-alone DVD recorders use some form of packet-writing software which has no published standards, so I can't really expect DVD burning soft to be able to conform to it fully.

ccampbell - there's no way to actually highlight the session within the disc info window, believe me. All I can do is expand or collapse the display of the tracks that Nero can read from the disc.

So, again, thank you all, but I'm giving this one up as a lost cause :-(