1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to compress sound? using DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mad89, Sep 23, 2004.

1. mad89

mad89 Member

i use dvd shrink, but am now having a problem with one of the movies i want to backup...

the movie analyses etc, fine and shrinks the video files, but the problem is that the sound is 2.5gb... and therefore will not fit on a dvd...

is it possible to shrink the sound?

my burner is a pioneer dvr-107d so therefore i cant do it via dual layer!!!

if i cant shrink the sound, does anyone know of something (a program) that i can use to make this dvd fit onto a single layer disc?

any help would be appreciated...

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

I, personally, find it hard to believe that your disk has 2.5Gb of sound files present on it. A DTS soundtrack would normally be only 500Mb, so I'm not sure whats going on. Can you supply details of the particular offending disk?

No, but you can remove "unwanted" soundracks.

You are using a top "transcoder" in Shrink in compressing your DVD's. Money will not improve things a great deal unless you fancy doing some research on the DVDrebuilder/CCE process.

3. svt54

svt54 Guest

Make sure you aren't keeping other languages that you aren't going to use.

I did have a disc once that compressed as much as shrink would compress, and with english audio only was 40kb to big to fit the disc. When that happened I took the sound off the menus, and it fit fine.

4. svt54

svt54 Guest

Make sure you aren't keeping other languages that you aren't going to use.

I did have a disc once that compressed as much as shrink would compress, and with english audio only was 40kb to big to fit the disc. When that happened I took the sound off the menus, and it fit fine.

5. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

mad89, my guess would be the audio stream is in LPCM format (often used in music and adult movies).
    Unfortunately, there is a limit to the amount of compression DVD Shrink can apply to a given video stream.
    It looks like you reach the limit for this particular title.

Your options are:

- Split the title(s) to two discs.
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/splitting-v2-3.php
    This guide was made with DVD Shrink v2.3, but the principle is the same when using more recent versions.

- Use DVD Shrink twice to reach the target size (ignoring the "Files are too big..." error message the first time round).

6. mad89

mad89 Member

hey all...

thanks ddlooping, u are right the sound is in LPCM format, but i find it amazing that the sound is 2.5gb though, its silly...

as for the rest of the people who replied, thanks for your suggestions but they were in vain, they didnt work, as on a music dvd there are no other audio streams to cancel...

thanks again to all who suggested,

=)