1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to configure RAID?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mduga, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mduga

mduga Regular member

I have a Dell Dimension 8400. I am trying to set it up for Raid 0. I have 2-80gb hard drives. Does anyone know what I have to hold when my computer boots up to get into the Raid setup menu? I got in there a while ago by accident and accidently set it for the Raid 1 instead of Raid 0, like I wanted. I don't remember what I hit to get in the menu though, now that I want to do it. I don't care if I have to lose all my data to do it. I am pretty sure it was CTRL+a letter or number, but I don't know which one or if that's right or not. I can't do it in my bios settings, its separate from that. Can anyone help?

Thanks

2. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

i have tinkered wit the dell bios and, although i have never done it, i beleive that F2 will bring u into setup which will give u the proper menus and options that will set up RAID

3. mduga

mduga Regular member

F2 will get me into the bios settings, but I am looking to get into Raid setup. This is where it actually formats your drives and makes them into a raid partition. Here you can select what kind of raid you want. Anyone know how to get in to those settings?

Thanks.

4. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

i didn't kno that RAID required partions but if thats the case then you'll need a boot disc to make the partions with such as the ubuntu boot discs availible at the homepage. or atleast that'll probrably be the easiest way

5. mduga

mduga Regular member

no, its not partitions, but it formats it for raid. its the raid bios i am trying to get into.

6. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

7. mduga

mduga Regular member

Thanks, will give it a shot.

8. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

well im glad i can be of SOME help after 4 posts

9. mduga

mduga Regular member

Alright, thanks for the help. I did have to hit F2 to go into the system bios and turn raid on first. Then I simply could hit CTRL-I to get into the Raid bios...

That's why I was having problems. You were right.

Thanks again!