1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect an external Hard Drive to DM 800-S HD Clone (Image: The Gemini Project 2)?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by B2K420, Dec 23, 2011.

1. B2K420

B2K420 Member

Hello all,

I am trying to connect an external Hard Drive (Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA ) to DM 800-S HD. The box does show external HD as a storage device connected to it but when I want it to record a TV programme it does not show the external HD as a device I can use to save the programme on.
    Please can anyone help me regarding this issue?

Thanks & Kind Regards
    B2K420

2. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

assuming you are using dream elite image then press blue button, select settings, then device manager and mount the device. then go to menu setup system and harddisk and initialize the hard disk. now you will be able to record on it

3. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

ive got my 1tb hooked up to mine. what do the files record as? avi? mp4? or are they drm protected? i would hook up the drive up to my pc and check but believe me the messing about with wires to get the thing out is more hassle than its worth. easier asking on here:)

4. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

the files are stored as .ts files in /media/hdd

5. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

cheers for that

6. B2K420

B2K420 Member

Hello fintannl,
    First of all thanks very much for your reply. I have enigma 2 installed on my DM. I have initialized/mounted the hard disk but when I record a programme it records it at \hdd\movie and shows total free space as 650 kb whereas my HD is 1TB. I don’t know why it does not give me the option to record it on my HD or it does not record on the HD. Please can you help me with that.

7. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

enigma 2 is base operating system on which any and every dm image is built. so i ask again what is the image you use. normally when you boot up it will show on the tv whether it is pli, femini, dream elite or whatever image. in most cases they are similar in menu structure so once again i ask you to use the menu button on your remote, go to setup then system then harddisk and initialize the disk

8. B2K420

B2K420 Member

Hello fintannl,

Thanks very much for your help, I have sorted the issue.
    Step 1: Menu > Blue - Panel > Device Manager > External HD was visible > Pressed Blue Button > Pressed 7 (To Initialize it) > Entered a name “externalhd” (1 TB HD took 40 seconds to Initialize).
    Menu > Blue - Panel > Device Manager > select externalhd > Pressed Blue Button > Pressed 1 (for HD Setup) >Changed the time HD standby after to 1 min > Pressed Green button to save. {IMP: Do not switch off your external hard drive once it has been initialized because if you do the HD will not be visible in Device Manager i.e. you will not be able to record on it. It can take considerable time (1 or 2 hrs) to sort this issue}.

Step 2: Opened Dreambox Control Center E2 > Connected the DM 800 > FTP > Opened Media folder > Opened externalhd > Right clicked to Add new Folder and named it as Movie.

Step 3: Menu > Setup > System > Recording Paths > selected Default movie location > Clicked Ok > Pressed Menu > Pressed 1 (Switch to file list) > I saw <Parent Directory> at the top > Clicked Ok > Selected List of storage devices > Clicked OK > Selected Internal Flash > Clicked OK > Selected Media Folder > Clicked Ok > Selected external HD > Clicked OK > Selected Movie > Pressed Blue button (To add this path as bookmark) > Selected this new recording path > Pressed Green button (To save it) > Followed Step 3 to update the Recording Paths for Time shift location, Timer record location & Instant record location.

9. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

ok, don't agree wih step 1. i've kicked the backside of my hard drive but whenever i connect it to my system it is always recognized and i have never lost a file in over 3 years.

i have messed with dreamboxes for simply a lot of years and DCC I looked at but there were way to many other better tools to be used

step 3: back to issue with dcc: never used, default location for movies is by nature /media/hdd/. the image does this by default. you don't need to know!!!!

overcomplicating a very simple process

10. B2K420

B2K420 Member

I am not disagreeing with you. You are more experienced in this field than me. The above steps worked for me I am sure they are plenty of better/easier ways as you stated.

On DM800, When I initialized the HD 3 days ago it showed mounted: media\hap but for some unknown reason now the DM800 is showing it mounted: media\hdd. I never changed any settings.
    Now whenever I try to change the recording Path (Menu>Setup>System>Recording Path) the DM 800 clone crashes. Please can anyone help me with this?

11. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

load the dreamboxuk image as i suggested and all should be good. to do this is simple. power off dreambox. while holding button on front of dm800 power the box on. You should get a message 'STOP' and an ipaddress shown on the DM800 display. release the button on the dm800 and type this IP address into a browser. Use the firmware upgrade option and select the .nfi file to flash from your hard disk. Once the flash reaches 100% disconnect the power to the dreambox, wait a few seconds and reconnect the power (no need to press the button this time) and configure the box as you wish

12. B2K420

B2K420 Member

13. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

theres only 2 people on this forum that i know who know there stuff about sly. you have spoke to one of them. happy newyear :)