1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to convert a h264 fle to divx or avi?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by kazuya80, Apr 17, 2007.

1. kazuya80

kazuya80 Guest

hi im a dummy when it comes to converting videos. i need help. my computer is too slow to play the h264 file so i need to convert it down. CAn anyone help me by giving me some dummy proof steps to convert the video...thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

MPEG-4 Part 10 (H.264) definitely takes more power to decode than MPEG-4 Part 2. Plus it is often 720p or higher.

Converting depends on the container that it is currently in, although both Dr. DivX 2 and ConvertX (not DivX2DVD since it is old) since they are ffmpeg based should handle AVC in avi, ts, mp4 or mkv containers. Basically anything that VLC can play since it mainly uses libavcodec/format for playback.

4. attar

attar Senior member

kazuya80 said the PC was 'too slow to play h264' If 'playing' and 'decoding' are mutually exclusive I find that decoding h.264 is easily accomplished with DivX2DVD and the amount of CPU power is a modest 50% on my modest P4 2.8GHz machine.