1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convert aspect ratio

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by wskay, Jan 27, 2007.

1. wskay

wskay Member

Hi, new to forum, probably and old question-
    My brother-in-law gave us his wedding dvd but the genius photographer managed to take the 4:3 original and encode it on the DVD as 16:9, so that it plays only as a stretched letter box on a conventional player or even PowerDVD (unless I hit ignore aspect ration on PowerDVD and resize the window). If I use a player with a digital output into my HDTV monitor then I can see the proper format.
    Anyway, can anyone point me at some tools (if it's even possible) to rip the DVD and reburn it in 4:3 format (or set the 4:3 flag or whatever I need to do)?
    Nothing is encrypted.
    rgds

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You might be able to do it simply in IfoEdit, by changing the video attributes.

[​IMG]

Scroll down a bit in this post:

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=221928

PgcEdit should also do it, but the program can be a bit daunting at first. You need to get to 'Current Domain Streams Attributes' to change it.

Test on a re-writeable first.

3. wskay

wskay Member

That did it (ifoedit)! Thx again, the family thanks you for saving their video. Was a little scarey as I use DVD Shrink to preview and it still thought the image was stretched.. but no problem on set top players after the burn. With DVD blanks selling for .25 I dont bother to waste the time on -RW's.
    I also like the NTSC-PAL swap on ifoedit. However I find that my upconverting DVD player can play both PAL and NTSC without problem, at least on its DVI output. Happens to be an LG LST-3510A. Will most modern HDTV DVD players be able to do this or am I just lucky?
    thx again and best regards

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Glad you got it. It seems more and more players now support PAL playback of Region Free DVDs.