1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to convert CVD or SVCD subs to srt or any DVD compatible format

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by sipec, Aug 30, 2005.

1. sipec

sipec Member

Hi, it is possible using vob2sub to rip subtitles from as SVCD or a CVD and to use them for subbing an SVCD or CVD with the help of winsubmux. However, what can one do so as to use them for subbing a DVD?
    Is there a way of converting winsubmux type of files to, for example, .srt?
    The format of SVCD and CVD subs ripped with vob2sub is a) a text file with the sufffix .sub referring to the timings, size and position of a number of subtitle images in BMP format and b) the said images (BMPs).
    I have subtitled lots of italian operas to greek and did not keep the original text files, alas. Now that DVDs have became cheap, I would like to use my original DVDs so as to burn them with the subs I made on a writable DVD. Unfortunately, DVD companies do not offer greek subs for italian operas.
    Any help or suggestion is welcome.

Anna from Athens

2. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

Hi. I haven't done much with subtitles so all I can tell you is Subtitle Workshop is a freeware that can convert lots of formats. I've used it a couple of times to convert between .sub and .srt

3. sipec

sipec Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Subtitle workshop, alas, does not recognize the .sub plus BMP images format.
    Anna

4. pavar

pavar Guest

5. sipec

sipec Member

Efharisto!
    Thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

Solution found, at last!

It is not free, though.
    Lemony subtitler does a perfect job out of it. I have only tried the crippled shareware version and had to replace the comma with a a colon or period in the original .sub file created by winsubmux and then do some search and replace in the output file. The result was excellent. I got a scenarist compatible file referring to the BMP images.
    Lemony can be fount at
    http://www.jorgemorones.com/lemony/title.htm