1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Convert Laser Discs to VCD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by jassimali, Feb 21, 2005.

1. jassimali

jassimali Member

Could anybody provide me some info on how to convert my laser discs to a VCD or DVD format ?

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

What is on your "lazer discs"?
    Is this something different from a regular Cd that your talking about?

3. jassimali

jassimali Member

The Laser Discs contain movies and can i copy them to format which could be palayed on a VCD player or a CD-ROM on a PC

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

laser disc, LD, are those oversize cd for movies before the age of dvd.

to back this up, i think you need to do an analog capture using a capture card.
    unless there's a drive for it on the PC...

5. Harry957

Harry957 Member

Are those discs the size of 12' vinyl?, Does the player have a digital output, if so you may be able to find a way of a digital to digital copy

6. Harry957

Harry957 Member

I have had a read LD is purley analogue apart from the sound carriers where they can be either CD sampling rate or analogue

Take a look at this before converting to VCD. VCD is a terrible format:

6.2 CD-I and VideoCD: The digital 5" CD-ROM -like laserdiscs
    Philips claims CD-I to have a clean and sharp digital picture. Sure. The truth just happens to be that when a film is tried to cram in the same bandwidth that CDs use just for sound, the result is no good. Although the theoretical resolution of CD-I is somewhere around 320x256 pixels (240x256 lines), a transition from black to white can't happen in one pixel. This makes the real resolution look more like 200x180 pixels. This is even worse than VHS, which has a resolution of somewhere near 320x585 pixels (240x585 video lines) for PAL, or 320x482 pixels for NTSC.
    When the images are not moving, CD-I appears to have a steady and non-noisy look. But when the picture has much movement, the very low picture data rate of 1.1 Mbits/s makes the picture break into little 8x8 and 16x16 pixel MPEG-1 -compression blocks, which makes any action film look totally disgusting. When you are supposed to be lost in high action, you are lost in compression blocks.

CD-I discs are claimed to be both NTSC and PAL compatible. This is carried out with an evil scheme: the discs are mastered in a way that makes everything appear 10% too flat on PAL TVs and 10% too tall on NTSC TVs. I find this way of solving problems to be totally unacceptable.

The video compression ratio on CD-I is approx. 40:1 and audio compression ratio is approx. 5:1.

Source: http://www.oz.net/blam/LaserDisc/FAQ/

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

yes, normal compliant vcd is terrible.