1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convert ripped DVD to MPEG1???

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by johnjh, Apr 16, 2007.

1. johnjh

johnjh Member

I use DVDFab to rip a DVD and subsequently store it on my hard disk (main movie and English audio tracks only). I need to convert the resultant movie that is on my hard disk to a .mpg (mpeg1) format. I want the resultant format to be 320x240...Having the ability to convert the frame rate would be nice, but not necessary. What are some open source programs that will do this in a fairly simple way? Will NERO whatever do this? What program specifically?
    (I am not interested in processing the video and audio seperately, then resynching them....I am looking for a 'one button' approach).
    Also, I have tried DVDx on various machines and with different configurations, but the resultant files contain periodic audio, video or both dropouts - e.g.
    Thanks
    J

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

What format is your rip in?

3. johnjh

johnjh Member

The file structure on the HD is pretty much like a regular dvd...Audio_TS and Video_Ts folders, and .vob files.

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Since you have Nero and I have Nero, we'll play with that.

Use Nero Recode select the Recode DVDs and Videos to Nero Digital(MPEG-4).

To get it to MPEG1 I would use TMPGEnc. It's a flexible program for encoding. I think you can still get a free version or at least a trial version that should get the job done.

If you are trying to make a VCD. Skip the TMPGEnc and just use Nero Vision. It should convert it for you.

5. whassup

whassup Regular member

TMPG will allow you to control video resolution and frame rate, something I'm sure Nero doesn't.

6. maca1

maca1 Regular member

How do you convert using TMPG?

7. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

It will convert MPEG-4. With the version I have I needed to select all files to be able to select it to convert. You will probably need to extract the audio first because in my test I didn't end up with any sound.

Most of the time if you have a plugin that will play it. TMPGEnc will convert it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  8. maca1

maca1 Regular member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007