1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to copy 2 dvd movies to 1 dual layer?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by savior100, Jan 20, 2005.

1. savior100

savior100 Member

I have the extended version of lord of the ring 2-disc. And i want the whole movie to be in 1 dual layer.
    Is it possible?

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Don't have this set, but what's on the second disc?

I cannot imagine what you want to do being possible without tremendous loss of video quality (owing to compression). Do you really want that?

Assuming you want to, you are going to have to do some extensive "reauthoring." There is a tutorial on doing a "compilation" at the dvd shrink website that shows how to combine titles from two or more dvd's with dvd shrink.

Is it even possible? Possibly not: if both of those dvd's are dual layer and crammed to the hilt, I doubt that even with compression that you could get both of them onto a single layer dvd. Of course, if you have a dual layer burner, and are willing to spend ~US$10 for a solitary dual layer dvd (when I can find them the cheapest I've seen is 3 for $29.99), then it might be possible. But it seems to be hardly worth the time and expense.

3. dimad

dimad Regular member

Yeah, quality wil suffer if you need to compress much. But theoretically it is possible. Plenty of programs will put movie from different disks together (like DVDShrink), or you can use DvdReMake Pro to keep original disks navigation with menus, etc

4. TenMen

TenMen Regular member

i managed to do it using dvd shrink.
    first i 're-authored' the main titles of both discs. (2 iso images)

i then 'shrank' each iso image again, this time removing all the extra audio stuff leaving only the 5.1audio, and leaving the english subtitle.

then i opened the the image of the 1st disc, went to re-auth mode & dragged the main title to the left side.
    w/out closing shrink, i went back to 'file' opened the image for the 2nd disc and went back to re-author mode. you will see the contents for the 2nd iso image on the right side & the 1st image on the left side.
    i then dragged the main title of the 2nd disc to the left side and put it under the first image and pressed backup.. i then copied t using 'copytodvd'.
    it came out pretty good if i say so myself.
    try it and tell me what you think...

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

bazilla, he has a dl burner (hence the question was how to use it)

Change the output filesize to DVD-9 8.5gb in shrink, backup first movie, insert second disc and reopen shrink. Go straight to re-author, open up your first movie and drag files over, then open up second disc from re-author window and drag what you want. Backup

6. savior100

savior100 Member

I tried that before, and my dvd couldn't play
    the dvd.

7. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Darn, deadcat, I see it now. He said "1 dual layer," and I fixated on the "1", and missed the "dual layer."

savior100, the dual layer dvd you created, does it play on your pc? Can you inspect the dvd, and does it appear that your dvd has all the files it should? Do you recall if you got a message saying that the burn process completed successfully.

I'm just learning -- the hard way -- that dvd players can be very picky about what kind of consumer writable media they will play. E.g., the Toshiba dvd player in the bedroom will not play DVD-R dvd's that play just fine in the Magnavox dvd player in the living room.

Maybe your dvd player just doesn't like the media you are using. Given the cost of dl media, that would be a major disappointment, I suppose.

8. savior100

savior100 Member

I think its wrong if the files are like vts01_1 vts01_2
    and the second disc is vts02_1 and etc. My suggestion is that the files must be VTS01_1 to VTS01_8.

9. reydav

reydav Guest

The DL disk are expensive and you dont need a dl to put two movies on one dvd-5 disk all you need is DVD2ONE and join mode works great. We all know you will not have full quality but I think its good. I Have Put SKULLS 1 2 3 on one dvd-5 and the quality is close to DVD and it saves space.

10. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

Id say the quality would be nowhere near dvd with 2 full size movies, let alone 3, on one dvd

Savior, once you have joined two movies together they should be vts01_1 through to vts01_whatever, as though one movie

11. mcfz

mcfz Member

The two original disks are probably dual layer in itself, thus chopping them in to ONE dvdr duallayer cant be good for quality, but i am certain it CAN BE DONE... Just dunno how :D

12. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

DVD Shrink's reauthoring mode can put 2 movies on a single disc if you don't care about menus (and you can always use no compression if you prefer to compress with a different program). To keep menus I'd use DVDReMake Pro and then compress with DVD-RB. In the case of any of the LoTR extended editions I wouldn't do it at all because of quality considerations, but if you're happy with the results that's all that matters.

13. CLC

CLC Member

HI SAVIOR100.. I HAVE THIS EXTENDED 4 HOUR FILM ON 1 DISC YOU DO LOSE A BIT OF QUALITY BUT ITS "ALL ON 1 DISC" FELL FREE TO EMAIL ME ABOUT THIS FILM CLCTJC@bass16.fslife.co.uk

14. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

dont post in all caps, and dont post email addy.

15. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

i dont think the quality would be bad because it is the sane as what everybody does with a dual layer disc is back it up on a standard disc.you want to do two movies but the disc you want to put it on is twice the size. nero recode will let you put multiple dvd movies on one disc and it has options for dual layer discs. just use dvd decrypter the dvd shrink to create two files around 4.6 gig and the nero wont have to compress the files at all to fit on one dual layer disc.