1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to copy a DVD Xcopy Copy Using Nero 6.3?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by rkj78h6g5, Dec 18, 2003.

1. rkj78h6g5

rkj78h6g5 Member

How can you copy a copy that was made with
    Xcopy Platinum or Xcopy Xpress?

Some posts on this site say you can do it using Nero. Oh really? I installed Nero 6.3.0.0.(didn't install the extras, like InCD..) The software works fine. It burns CDRs, and it will copy data DVDs between drives.
    But, when I go to copy a DVD made my DVD Xcopy, 27 min after starting the read portion, got "error reading data" and "burn process failed" in the log, then got mini-dialog box that said:
    "burn process failed".
    Actually, the burn never even starts. It fails before it even starts.
    So my question:
    How do you use Nero to copy a copy made with DVD Xcopy? Is there a workaround? Is there a better piece of software to use?
    Thanks.

Here is my config:
    Windows XP Pro SP1 and all current updates.
    Latest ASPI 4.71. USB 2.0.
    Pentium 4 1.9Ghz, 1GB RAM, 600GB in 4 HDs
    Sony DRX-510UL DVD drive(external, USB, reads and writes ALL DVD formats)
    (this drive is same as Sony DRU-510A, only it is external USB 2.0)

2. bluedogs

bluedogs Member

try this it works for me

start dvdxcopy simple and read the disk to your hard drive
    now when it asks for a blank disk, dont give it one
    leave the program running and right click on start then explore now go to the folder where it stores the image and copy it to another folder.

when thats done close dvdxcopy and start nero burning rom and burn off like you would normally.

I discouver this because I had that problem and guess what? I don't now

let me know how it goes

you could even try dvd shrink instead of using dvdxcopy or try this one open nero burning rom
    select the drive that the movie is in select the files move them over to the right folder (it will transfer all files from the disk to the hdd once done click burn

3. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Ripping to your HD first is a good idea. The reason you cannot copy 'on the fly' is probably due to your IDE cable or power connector. Check that they are firmly in place (believe me they do come loose sometimes). When I had the same problem I also switched the IDE cables around so that both drives were on the same cable. Never had a problem since.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  4. rkj78h6g5

rkj78h6g5 Member

I found a solution that works: I d-loaded and installed CloneDVD from this site. It copies copies made with DVD Xcopy. Has worked 100% 3/3 times so far. Try it.
    Thanks.

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You shouldn't need more software to copy a disc that has already been ripped, but if it works for you.......

6. rkj78h6g5

rkj78h6g5 Member

Discmania:
    You say we shouldn't need more software to copy a disc. So, how do YOU copy a copy? DO you use Explorer or the command line or what? Windows doesn't natively allow writes to optical media and requires add-on software to do this.
    Please enlighten us.

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

The way I copy from a back up:
    Nero 6 (using Nero Express) - [bold]Copy entire disc[/bold] then uncheck [bold]quick copy[/bold] as this means on-the-fly and has been already explained here that you'll probably have data transfer error(s) if trying to burn on-the-fly (due to IDE cable incapability)
    OR
    DVD Decrypter - MODE > ISO Read > ISO Write