1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to copy dual layer disk?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jaymk, May 5, 2007.

1. jaymk

jaymk Member

Hi,
    First I would like to thank bbmayo’s Site, because of it I have copied atleast 6 movies successfully.
    I would really appreciated if somebody can help me how to copy a dual layer dvd to a dual layer media.
    I have tried dvd decriptor but it is not working for me. It just keeps givig me error. Is there any other software recommended?
    Also how do I know if my drive is a dual layer drive. I have a Sony desktop and the drive is Sony dvdrw DW-D22A.
    Thankyou in advance for all your help and advice.
    Thankyou.

2. jaymk

jaymk Member

3. colw

colw Active member

You could try Imgburn.

4. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@jaymk
    dual-layers the price is criminal have you thought about just shrinking them down to the cheaper dvd+r or dvd-r ?
    you should not notice too much image quality loss
    but if you are sure I'd recommend Nero 7 premium and nothing below version 7 but you still might be in a pickle if the dual-layer is copy-protected Nero will tell you ( and refuse to burn it ).
    all I can recommend if that happens a copy of Any Dvd to run in the background but I am talking some expense here :(
    as for the drive I'd wait for someone to tell you if it's dual-layer or go to the sony website and they should have the specs for your model
    goodluck

5. jaymk

jaymk Member

Thanks everybody for the quick reply.
    I have been using DVD Fab Decriptor, DVD Shrink and than Image Burn.
    I dont have the words to express how I felt when I copied my first movie.
    Now it seems to me that the quality is not the same as the actual movie. I am by no means a genuis in this regard. I was able to make some copies only because of the step by step guide and now I feel comfortable in making copies.
    I really would like to try a dual layer disk and if some of you pros can help me and give me a step by step guide, I'll be very much thankfull.
    I am willing to spend some money if that is the only option right now, it would be a great feeling once again to make a complete copy like the original dvds with all the menus and DTS sound on some.
    Thankyou.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If you don't have have AnyDVD, get a free trial at slysoft.com. You could also use DVDFab Decrypter to get files to HDD and use ImgBurn. ImgBurn and Fab Decrypter are free:

DVDFab Decrypter-
    http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

LOCOENG's Abstraction
    Imgburn-
    http://www.imgburn.com

Guides:

Burning DVD Video files directly to double layer media with ImgBurn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

Creating a single layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1778

Creating a double layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777

ImgBurn Build Mode, An Overview
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1779

I use AnyDVD and ImgBurn in ISO mode and let ImgBurn select the layer break. I use nothing but Verbatim + DLs booktyped to DVD-Roms. Have yet to get a coaster with the ImgBurn method. I've done about 30 DLs on 2BenQ1650s and 1LG 2166D burners. I has to be a special movie to warrant an expensive DL.

7. jaymk

jaymk Member

Thankyou garmoon and I am amazed how did you find out all those searches that quick.
    Well thankyou and now I am going to study on these, it may take me some time as its almost midnight. I'll give it a try tomorrow and will get back with you guys with the result soon.
    I have already bought the 50 pack Verbatim from Sams. Its made in India, hopefully they'll turn out to be good as my local Office max dont have any in stock.
    Thankyou and talk to you all soon.
    Good night.

8. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

the Verbatim DVD+R DL is the best you can use definitely stick with them and NOT the inexpensive brands. another option to do a DL is to use clonedvd 2 + anydvd that would be the easiest out of the bunch to use

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@jaymk

First the credit for the links goes to LOCOENG-who if you look closely gets the credit- who rounded those up. I simply copied and pasted the links in a folder with other gems and links. When needed, I copy and paste them here. You're neither the first nor last asking about burning DLs.

You got a 50 pack of Verbatim +R DLs at Sams? How many arms did you give them? LOL I'm looking for the next big sale on Verb +R DLs!

10. bigclay2u

bigclay2u Guest

use ripit4me and you will have no problems, thats it

11. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

garmoon, supermediastore has a 40 pack for 75.00 dollars .thats shipped and no tax

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@MichaelP1

That's toooo much for my blood. A little less than $1.90 apiece.

13. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yeah the DLs have really never dropped in price for whatever reason

14. jaymk

jaymk Member

15. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@jaymk
    you have your heart set on the duals so if you are prepared to spend a little money I'd rule out Nero 7 because it's around $180 (aus dollars) but if you want something cheaper go for Slysoft's Any and Clone Dvd these quality programs will burn almost any movie whereas Nero wont.
    I don't know alot about Clone burning duals perhaps someone else can enlighten us on that?
    great to see someone with excitement !!
    happy burning!!

16. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

clonedvd 2 will do DL fine also cloneCD will do DL and keep the factory layer break vvvvvvv

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007
  17. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

thankyou MichaelP1 I learn something new every afterdawn day
    I didn't even realise that little option I had mine blindly set to single layer.
    cheers

18. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

sure no problem. you have a few options with clonedvd 2 as you can see in the drop down box vvvvvvv

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007