1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Copy Multiple Movies to 1 Disc with DVDShrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by TheSalmon, Oct 24, 2003.

1. TheSalmon

TheSalmon Member

I was trying to figure out how to get Gangs of New York on 1 disc and I couldn't find a way to do it in the forums using DVDShrink, so when I figured it out I decided to post it up here for anyone who wants to put combine 2 discs onto 1. This can be used with a movie that spans 2 discs, or with 2 movies, if you don't care about a little reduction in quality. This instruction assumes you know how to rip movies with DVDShrink.

First, take the first disk and rip just the movie off of it, with as little overhead as possible. With disc 1 of GONY I was able to rip just the movie with one audio stream and not need to compress it at all. Once it is ripped, open DVDShrink again, click on "Open Files", and find VIDEO_TS.IFO from the disc you just ripped on your HD. Then put the second disc in the drive. Hit "Re-Author" on DVDShrink, then Open the second disc. Hit "Re-Author" again, opening up a third copy of DVDShrink. Then you just have to drag the two movies into this blank window and hit "Back-up" to create the final disc with both movies on it. Don't forget to trim down the movie from disc 2 by eliminating any unwanted audio streams.

I was able to get GONY on one disc, with both halves at about 50%. I'm sure some people will complain that this is too low quality for them, but I have a hard time seeing the reduction... probably because I don't have a high-def set yet. ;) Please let me know if this was helpful to anyone, and if anyone has any questions or problems I'll be happy to answer them if I know how.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

When I backed up GONY I did it Manually and was able to get it on one Disk at Just as good Quality as the Original but you allways get Much better Quality and More Video on a DVD-R if you do it Manually...How about getting 4 Full Movies on a DVD-R with Good Quality, Actually better Quality than DVD2One can Produce when Backing up One Big Movie on a DVD-R, and this is 4 Movies with all of the Original menu"s and Chapters and in Some cases the Special Features...This Method Takes quite a Bit of Knowlege in Digital Video and useing certain Pieces of Software compared to a One Button Program Like DVD Shrink, But it really helps out when you can"t afford a DVD-R for every movie you back up and the Quality is awesome if useing the Right Mpeg encoder....Cheers

3. Jackman

Jackman Guest

minion - any chance u could give a guide? only way i can see this happening is using DIVX or XVID (obviously need a player which can play)

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im afraid to burst the bubble and point out, no matter what re-encoding programs you are using, you cannot get 4 movies in mpeg2 (VOB) format onto one DVD R with the same quality as one movie. In fact, the quality would be diminished quite a bit, possible to the point of extreme irritation when watching. I re-encoded two movies onto one disc and wasnt overly impressed with the results.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Im Sory But You Can Get 4 Movies on a DVD-R with Very Good Quality about the Quality of SVCD or Very High Quality VCD with absolutly No Macroblocks and a Crystal clear Image with AC3 audio...I know Cuz I have Backed up Quite a Few DVD"S this way and They Look Great But you have to use the SIF standard..I"m Not some Newbie that Doesn"t Know what a Good Quality image looks Like as I am In the Digital Video Buisiness so I have to Know Quality for a Liveing ...I have compared these Movies to Movies Backed up useing DVD2One and they are Much better Looking...I tried to use DVD2One to backup Lord of the Rings and the Final DVD was Full of Blocks Because DVD2One isn"t very good when it has to do a Lot of Compression, But when Backing up the DVD useing the other Method the File turned out to be just over 2GB but the Quality was Much Better so I was able to Fit the First LOTR and the Second LOTR all on the Same Disk with better Quality than DVD2One did with One movie on a Disk...You should Maybe try useing the SIF standard to backup a DVD useing a High Quality encoder.....Cheers

6. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

YES BUT HOW DID YOU DO IT?

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

You have to use the SIF DVD Format and a Very High Quality encoder Like CCE SP 2.67...What you do is :
    #1)Rip the Vob files to your Hard drive ...
    #2) Use DVD2AVI to de-Mux the AC3 audio and to Make a D2V Project file with the "Forced Film" option enabled...
    #3) Use AVISynth to Frameserve the D2V file to CCE useing the "SimleResize.dll" to resize the Image to 352+240...
    #4) In CCE I use a 12 frame GOP, and the "Ultra Low Bitrate Matrix" and none of the Filters in the "Quality" Page..and usually I use the "One Pass VBR" setting encodeing to Mpeg2 useing 1000KBS Minimum and 2500KBS Max bitrate and the "Q" Level at 20-30...
    #5)I just encode it like Normal which takes about 35 minutes per 2 Hour Movie...
    #6)After encodeing to Mpeg2 I use "DoPulldown" to add the 3:2 Pulldown Flags which makes it 29.97fps...
    #7) I usually repeat for 3 More movies then author them all to a Single DVD-R useing the AC3 audio I extracted from the Vob files with DVD2AVI usually useing DVD-Lab as the authoring Program.....

And this is Basicly it......Cheers

8. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

thanks i'm gonna give it a whirl in a minute

9. rocky999

rocky999 Member

I'm all for using various programs and experimenting, but this sounds like an awful lot work to go through to save the cost of a few dvd blanks. Maybe if they are really expensive where you live, but I get disks (dvd+r) for $1.40 - $1.60 each. I'd rather spend an extra few bucks and be done with it.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Once you know how to do it isn"t any trouble at all, and useing variations of this method you can achieve much better Quality than useing a One Click program and you get total controll over the Outcome....Cheers

11. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I've been using AviSynth to frameserve my MPEG-2 captures as Half D1 (352x480) into CCE and encoding them for miniDVD, and I have to agree that it's not as complicated or as much work as it sounds once you've done it a couple of times. It's very easy to reuse a single AviSynth file (and only takes about a minute or 2 to write 1 from scratch). Personally, I wouldn't go as far as to put 4 DVDs on a single disc, but I definitely agree that if you resize you can get amazing quality at very low bitrates with CCE.

For encoding my captures I use Minimum Bitrate 0, Maximum Bitrate 4500 (about the physical limit of miniDVD), and Q 20-35 in CCE, which is actually very similar to Minion's settings if you consider that my bitrate is about twice what he's using and I use a resolution with 2x the pixels. Other than that the only big differences are in the AviSynth script where I edit out commercials and denoise and the sound where I have to convert my MPA sound to wave and then to 2/0 AC3.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2003