1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to copy video from camcoder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by orhor, Apr 3, 2005.

1. orhor

orhor Member

Hi, I'm a newby so I have this simple question.

My friend lended me a camcoder (Panasonic NV-GS15). I connected it to my comp via fire-wire. I tried to capture video with UleadVideoStudio but even if I choose DV, or DVD or AVI or MPG or something as the capture format - the video is interlaced and shurly not for looking :)

Is there any way I could just copy the digital data stored on the tape like it was any other storage device? Something like my digital camera Olympus. I just plug the USB cable and copy the pictures. Can I just copy the file from camcoder?

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

No, you cannot just copy from tape to PC, because on the tape it is a stream and you will have to capture it inside a file. The Firewire connection that you used is the correct way to get your film on the PC.
    The material on your tape is interlaced, so it will also be interlaced on your PC. For viewing on PC, interlaced material is indeed not the best. You can deinterlace with many programs (e.g. VirtualDUB), but you can also encode it to mpeg-1 or wmv which are both de-interlaced standards.

http://www.digitalvideoclub.com

3. orhor

orhor Member

i saved the video as DVD. So it is saved as *.mpg. can I deinterlace it in some easy way? (VirtualDub can handle only *.avi)

And second question: Do I understand it right when I think that on the camcoder tape is the material interlaced for TV-like wieving purposes and is not the best for wieving on PC. So when I want to do anything with it (edit, burn on DVD ...) via PC I always have to deinterlace it? Or it stays interlaced and when I play it on DVDplayer+TV it will be shown OK?

PS: thank you for your quick answer

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The only way to deinterlace mpeg is to re-encode it. Qualitywise that is not very good, but if you don't have it as DV-AVI you have no better choice.
    MPEG-2 as use on DVD can either be interlaced or de-interlaced. To watch it on TV, you better use interlaced on your DVD. Most PC DVD players (like PowerDVD or WinDVD) also handle interlaced material very well on PC.

5. orhor

orhor Member

Thank you

6. limelight

limelight Regular member

whoa hold up a sec. i thought the firewire made it easy to transfer the video to the pc?

7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

It does :)
    It is very easy. Depening on what you want to do afterwards may require a bit more study. However, you can get all the knowledge you need from here: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005