1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Custom 80mm Fan for Slim's...Runs COLD!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by honda_ek9, Apr 6, 2007.

1. honda_ek9

honda_ek9 Member

First off the reason I did this is because I broke the plug for the factory fan off the board while putting in a modchip and no one around my area could solder it because of how close they are. So I started thinking of what I could do....I had a great idea of cutting a whole in the top of the case and getting a computer fan and wiring it to USB. It was a good idea, but USB run on 5v and tring to find a fan that runs on 5v is hard enough and the one I found was about a 1 inch square and pushed 5cfm(that's not much of anything). Back to the drawing board, computers fans are all 12v so I figured I could just get a 110v Ac converter to 12v Dc and run a switch since I don't have the USB port to turn it on and off with the power switch. So I got a 80mm computer fan pushing 30cfm and wired it up. This cost me ~$25.00 after tax and about 15 minutes.

Oh yeah, I didn't want the clear with red LED's one but I didn't have any options and I move to Japan in a few days and I wanted to play GOWII with out my PS2 over heating and giving me the flashing red light. I'll probably replace it with a black one.

Step one....Supplies:
    [​IMG]
    Switch $1.80, 80mm 12v DC Fan $10.99 and 110v AC to 12v DC converter $11.50

Step two....Making a hole:(sorry no pics I didn't think of this till after)
    Find a whole saw 80mm or really close so you don't have to trim as much. The edge of the fan should be an inch and a half up from the front to clear the controller/memory card bay. Place your fan where you want it and draw line arount it with a marker. Find dead center and drill the pilot hole and prepair to drill your hole.

IMPORTANT: Drill the hole in reverse so it melts the hole because hole saws are made for wood and metal, the teeth are too aggressive and will tear it up.

Drill the the mounting holes, and drill/cut a notch in the back of the case by the network cable slot for the wires to come out. The hard part is over.

Step three....Wiring:
    Get your converter and cut off the end if it has a plug, pull the wires apart and strip the ends. Cut the end off the fan plug, pull apart and strip the ends. Your switch should have two pins for female connectors, put you connectors on the positive wires(in my case it is black/white stripe and red) and connect to the switch. now connect the grounds together with a butt connector. Plug it in and make sure it works.

Step four....Assembly:
    Screw the fan on to the case and then put it back together. Since my fan was not working I took it out so the processor could get more air. After playing GOWII for about an hour the heatsink was just about room temp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps some one out that had the same problem as me.

2. honda_ek9

honda_ek9 Member

I ment 120v AC not 110v AC....Sorry