1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to delete a protected file?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by master353, Jul 16, 2007.

1. master353

master353 Regular member

I have been cleaning out my computer and noticed that when i try to delete folders in the program folder folder that ir says access denied or its maybe a write protected file. How do I delete these. These are things that i do not want on my computer.

2. Sasquach1

Sasquach1 Guest

Some programs may be parts of spyware and other programs that have features that tell it to not be deleted. If this is the case you have to get some type of virus software or a file shredder or some sort. Some programs attach themselves to explorer.exe and it says "cannot delete, being used by another program" to get rid of these. Press cntrl+alt+del and get the task manager. End explorer.exe and it should shut down your desktop. Press "new task" Scroll through your computer and find the file to delete it. If this deletes it, you can press "new task" again and scroll to C:\Windows\explorer.exe to run your desktop again.

3. master353

master353 Regular member

that didn't work, it still says it is write protected. My norton picks it up as aspyware. It is called Bonjour. There is also this other program that says that too but its not spyware.

4. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

5. master353

master353 Regular member

it worked, thanks, but it froze up my computer for like 10 mins lol

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I am not so sure that the bonjour is spyware. I found this on it:

Bonjour.exe and mdnsresponder.exe installs with Apple iTunes and MusicMagic Mixer by Pendixis. Bonjour.exe installs with the BonJour Zero-configuration network application. Mdnsresponder.exe is the Apple Rendezvous client that MusicMagic uses to communicate with the TiVo service. It is normal for these files to attempt to connect to the Internet.

Norton may well have flagged this because of the attempt to connect to the internet. Are more than one of those programs above on your computer?

7. master353

master353 Regular member

Its too late for that now, lol. My itunes still works and it connects to the store fine. I dont have tivo, so i won't be needing the bonjour. THanks for the info anyway.

8. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

That's good to hear.

I have that unlocker also, it is a nifty little tool. I used to get rid of all that excess MS stuff.

9. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

That's good to hear.

I have that unlocker also, it is a nifty little tool. I used it to get rid of all that excess MS stuff.

10. master353

master353 Regular member

Thats wierd it reinstalls itself. I guess its a usless battle.

11. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I wouldn't mess around with that file.

But I had a similar problem with the Microsoft Gaming Zone file. I did the unlock all and then just deleted the file normally. But the full file kept coming back.

If you right click on the item you want to delete and select unlocker, first use the "Delete" option of unlocker and then the "Unlock All" option. This should delete.

Now on my gaming zone file what happened was the folder came back, but at least was empty. On others there was a complete deletion.

12. master353

master353 Regular member

I'll just leave it alone. I thought i might be spyware or something.