1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to draging a dvd movie to my hard drive.

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by ithica, Dec 16, 2004.

1. ithica

ithica Member

Topic.

first im a newbie

How is there a protection on the original.

if not how can i drag a movie in to my hard drive

tx

sorry for my english. im french.. :)

2. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Bon jour mon ami, welcome to AfterDawn. This site is awesome and has a lot of usefull information and people to assist you.

Most movies have a layer of protection known as "CSS" or "Content Scrambling System", usually placed onto the disc by the manufacturer or studio that made it, to prevent copying.

For the purpose of backing-up or archiving a copy of your original movie to your hard drive, another disc, or whatyever you choose, in case anything ever happens to it, (kid sits on it or chews on it, dog eats it... etc) it is necessary to decrypt the data contained on the disc.

For accomplishing this I suggest DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink, both of which are available on this outstanding site. They come with some information on using them and as always, people are here to help you. I also recommend checking out the glossary of terms link at the top. Once again welcome to Afterdawn! :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  3. ithica

ithica Member

Thank a lot my friend.

does this program.

i have another question.

My dvd burner disk can only store 4.6g on a disk, how do you guys do to fit a movies that weight 7.6G

Probably compression. Does dvd shrink and decrypter do that.

Tx :)

4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Yes the DVD Shrink program will compress a larger disc (dual-layer, anything OVER 4.7gigs ) onto a smaller disc. (single-layer, 4.7gig disc) and it also has a decrypter built into it. HOWEVER... it can not burn your disc by itself. It requires either a program such as Nero or some other burning software to burn your disc. This is where the DVD Decrypter program comes in. It is one of the programs that Shrink can use to burn for you, and if you have both programs, you can set Shrink to automatically burn your disc with Decrypter once you are done compressing and encoding.

Check out this guide for using Shrink:http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

And then check this guide for a basic use of the Decrypter program:http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  5. ithica

ithica Member

i have roxio easy cd dvd creator 6,

6. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

You can use Roxio to burn with, I personally don't recommend it though. A lot of people have complained of compatibility issues after burning a disc with it. On the other hand some people have no problems with it at all. Just your personal preference and what works best for you. Tis what I like about Decrypter is it has it's own burning engine as part of the program, very nice! :D

7. ithica

ithica Member

Ok thanks a lot.:)

8. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

No problem, here to help. :)