1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to dual boot with xp and vista??

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by bailey07, Feb 5, 2007.

1. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

i want to keep my xp on my pc and install windows vista so when i load up my pc i have a choice of which OS i would like to use.I want to put them both on 1 HDD how do i do this??could somebody give me simplified instructions on how to do so?

thanks

2. kateman

kateman Regular member

it does work but not the way your thinking of

its actually more of a work-around. You will need Virtualization software like VM Ware (vmware.com), Parallels Workstation (www.parallels.com/), or Microsofts Virtual PC 2004 (free, found somewere on microsofts site). You will need one of these three pieces of software and a vista OS install disc. Basically you install one of these and then install your vista OS into the program. It will create a virtual pc. So in you case you will be running windows, but will have, lets say, Parallels installed and in Parallels you will have a virtual computer with vista OS installed.

3. Altometrn

Altometrn Guest

You don't need to do all that, if you're starting from scratch on a new or reformatted HDD, install XP first making sure you create a second partition with plenty of space for Vista to run on. After you install XP, then just install Vista on the other partition. It works the same way as any other dual boot Windows system. You have to install the older OS first, because the newer one has to install it's bootloader over the other so it can handle both sets of config settings(the older OS can't recognize the newer boot files). If you want to do it whithout doing a full format, get aome partitioning software like partition magic 8 and resize/create another partition from within XP, then install like you normally would.

4. kateman

kateman Regular member

iam pretty sure he has to do that cus of this

he isnt starting with a reformated hd. so what i say still stands.

5. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

Got vista on my pc now with dul boot working fine but now ive got aero problems with
    intel(r) 915GM/GMS/910GML express chipset family

6. Altometrn

Altometrn Guest

iam pretty sure he has to do that cus of this

he isnt starting with a reformated hd. so what i say still stands.[/quote]

Why would he go through the pain of setting up a virtual machine when he can just resize the primary partition with Partition Magic and have an actual new partition already formatted and ready for another OS in less than 1/4 of the time it would take to do what you suggested?