1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to edit a vob file

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by soban, Jan 7, 2005.

1. soban

soban Member

hi

now a lot of people told me that vob file is just another mpeg format. well just telling me that dont help me. please give me link to a full guide or just tell me in detail how to do it step by step cause im really confused.

thanks in advance for the help guys.

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Hi soban,

VOBs are in MPEG2 format, but you can't just rename the file you have to convert it.

Here are some tools to work with VOBs:
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software2.htm
    and click on 'VOB Tools'.

What are you trying to do??

Adder.

3. ldfcao

ldfcao Member

Hi Adder01,

I'm following this thread too - I'm very interested in finding an answer to the same question.

I have home videos from my VHS camera that I've dumped onto DVD using a set-top DVD recorder. The resulting DVD is the same as a commercial DVD - finalized, .vob and .ifo files in a VIDEO_TS folder, etc.

I'd like to be able to edit it and re-burn the result-i.e. cut and paste a few scenes and eliminate a few badly-shot scenes, then create my own chapters ("At the Grand Palace", "At the Market", etc.), add some cool-looking menus and then re-burn the whole thing to a finalized DVD again.

I am able to rip the DVD onto my HD, but none of my authoring programs will load the resulting files, neither the directory as a DVD nor any of the individual .vob files. I'd like to edit it in Pinnacle 9, but any basic editor & authoring tool would be fine.

Is it possible to do this without converting the whole thing to a monster .avi file first?? I tried that some months ago and found that I lost a lot of picture quality, I had sound synch issues, it took hours and hours do convert back and forth and the .avi file was so big my program kept freezing up on me as I was working on it or re-converting it.

There must be a solution to this - I just haven't found it yet!!

I'm not sure if this will answer Soban's question, but it would certainly fix an insoluble problem I've had for many, many months!

Thank you!

4. Hotdog59

Hotdog59 Guest

Hi

It's the sound track that causes the problem. If the sound track is mpeg (PCM I think ??) then you can just rename the VOB and edit the file. However, if like me your DVD Recorder stores the sound track as AC3 or anything else you will need to convert it if you wish to use somthing like Pinnical Studio. I use Womble MPG2VCR (this site, free trial) to convert my VOB,s to MPG as this software has an option to convert the sound track to Mpeg. The resulting file will then go straight into Pinnical Studio where I can edit without problem at full DVD quality.

Watch out for Pinnical Studio 9 as it HAS a serious sync problem (do a google). I use found out the hard way and went back to version 8.

5. lyberty

lyberty Member

soban: what is "it"? What are you trying to do?

Idfcao-

I don't think you're going to find something that will do all the video editing you want to do directly to a VOB file... Even if you did, it would probably be converting it to an MPEG behind the scenes...Have you tried just converting a VOB to MPEG (rather than going all the way to AVI and back), then using some Movie Making software? I remember one poster recommending using
    [bold]VideoReDo[/bold] (see following) and [bold]Ulead Movie Factory[/bold] [1] together...

Having said that: I was looking for a tool to edit (remove) commercials out of my PVR recorded MPEGs, and I've been hearing some of good things[2] about [bold]VideoReDo[/bold] (including that it's better than [bold]Womble MPEG2VCR[/bold] (?) and [bold]TMPGEnc DVD author[/bold]), and I noticed that the VideoReDo website [3] claims
    "VideoReDo can work with any kind of MPEG2 program stream file. A program stream is the most common way of storing MPEG video in a computer file. One benefit of this is that DVD VOB files are internally formatted as a program stream and can be edited with VideoReDo.

VideoReDo can process both constant (CBR) and variable bit rate (VBR) MPEG2 programs, without user intervention. Just open your program file and start editing.

Most program stream files store their audio with MPEG1 Layer 2, or AC3 encoding. MPEG1 audio encoding is typical of computer capture cards, while AC3 is often the standard for commercial or stand-alone DVD recorders. VideoReDo deals with both encodings automatically."

Downside? It's $50.

[1]
    DVD Movie Factory aka MovieStudio aka MovieFactory
    http://www.ulead.com/dmf/features.htm
    [2] http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3774
    [3]
    http://www.drdsystems.com/VideoReDo/index.htm

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  6. ldfcao

ldfcao Member

Thank you - this is helpful. I'll take a look at these, and if I spring for the $50 I'll let you know how it works out.

7. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I've used NeroVision Express along with some freeware tools -- virtualdubmod and MPEG2Cut -- to edit VOB files. If your Pinnacle can work with MPEG2, then just open the VOB file with MPEG2Cut, and save it back out in the format you want.

8. lyberty

lyberty Member

ldfcao- I think I've found your solution!

I've been experimenting with the latest Nero software (trials are available).

I can confirm that, with 'Nero Vision Express 3', you can use VOB files as input. For example, you can
    1. select "Make DVD"
    2. select "Add Video Files" (navigate to a .vob on your hard drive, click 'Open')
    3. select "Edit Movie": in Edit mode, you can
    ___3a. cut out sections of the video, or trim it down
    ___3b. split scenes, and add fancy 3-D transition effects
    ___3c. apply fancy text anywhere in the video (e.g. horizontal fade of "your text here" positioned anywhere on the screen)
    ___3d. apply video filters to enhance video quality
    4. Repeat import and edit process to add mulitple VOBs, or mix VOB files with MPEG files.
    5. Create a DVD menu (as fancy as you want to get, including animated menu buttons); preview menu functions
    6. On the "burn options" page, select "Video Options", then select select the box for "Smart Encoding".

"Smart Encoding" is a new feature in Nero software. Nero claims that, when Smart Encoding is enabled, "video and audio material that is compliant with the destination format [i.e. DVD format] will not be re-encoded."

However, it seems like some re-encoding happens anyway. It may be that if you do editing, or you apply video effects, or if your audio stream is not dvd-compliant, that re-encoding becomes necessary.

But even so, the final result seems to be of good quality (if source was good quality), so I can live with the re-encoding, especially in light of:
    - being able to apply video clean-up filters
    - easy to use, intuitive interface
    - nice authoring features (menus, transition effects, etc.)

In my case, I use this to remove commercials from tv shows I've recorded using my PC, and then make a DVD archive of recorded shows (frees up space on my Hard Driver).

As a note for everyone: "Smart Encoding" is a feature of 'Nero 6.6' (which includes 'Nero Vision Express 3').

If you got Nero 6 as the software that came with your DVD burner (as I did), you can get the "Nero 6 Ultra Edition Major Update (Version 6.6)" update for free!

For those of you who haven't bought a DVD burner yet, I'd strongly recommend you get one that comes bundled with Nero: it rocks!

nero Demo Versions:
    http://www.nero.com/us/Demo_Versions.html

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  9. trombone

trombone Guest

Superior thanx to Lyberty.
    Your kind helped to solve all my
    problems, when a friend of mine came with
    a bunch of redigitized DVD´s in vod format,
    and he asked for help
    How to just reprocess them by just cutting
    and trimming, and then just to make new disks

Complete resolutio, great help
    saved a lot of hours and also gave me
    ´more points as a ´guru´in videos!!

Thank You

Erkki from Finland

10. TMoller

TMoller Guest

Hi Folks

The solution Lyberty mentioned can also be accomplished using MYDVD Deluxe version 6. Of course you realize all you can do is chunk up your video, the product does not separate the audio and video tracks for further editing which I am sure adobe premier will do once it allows you to input the vob file format.

Have a great one

11. ldfcao

ldfcao Member

Thank you everyone for your help, especially Lyberty!

12. davidlee

davidlee Member

I have also had success by changing the vob file extention to mpeg after ripping to HD.
    Then importing mpeg into Adobe premier 6.5
    I fould the real time playing of the "changed" vob file in premier slow so i saved the timeline as an avi file and worked on that.
    I found that i could cut and edit the new avi file in premier. totaly remove the audio track and replave it with some other audio. I could do anything I wanted once it was an avi in premier

13. marydogan

marydogan Member

Hi, I am trying to follow this thread, I have a little different problem ( I think). I have a movie (385mg) and audio(85mg) that I put together in Adobe Premiere Pro. As an MPEG it blew up the file to 2gig. Too big.

So I tried to burn it direct to DVD in A P pro and I get this vob files even as I select Mpeg.

does anyone know how do I get my movie to come out as an mpeg file from 'burn direct to DVD in Pro?

Hope I am being clear. Also, the quality has to be crystal clear (work project), I have the space and the proper equipment.
    thanks

14. zooco

zooco Regular member

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

going from a vhs camera may make the dvd, VR format (some apps wont load VR format, it isnt true dvd of video ts audio ts folder structure only), you can use TMPGenc DVD Author to chop/cut/edit, this is a dam fine easy powerful software - love it.