1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to edit my movies

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Sasquach1, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Sasquach1

Sasquach1 Guest

I didn't know where on the website to drop this question, but I figured it had something to do with ripping so I'm putting it here.

I've got a DVD Recorder that records my TV Shows and mostly my Halo 2 Michimia and puts it on a disk. It formats it as a real disk so that you can play it in any DVD player but it sets it up like a real DVD with a Video TS folder, etc. with .IFO files. I can play the .IFO files but that's not what i'm wanting to do with them. I want to get the actual video file itself as a MPEG or AVI or something that I can edit in Windows Movie Maker because I want to edit the movies: take out commercials, messups on movies, etc.

How do I go about turning the DVD information into a MPEG or AVI?

2. attar

attar Senior member

If your DVD follows convention, the files that you need are named
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    etc
    These files are MPEG files and if you wish to import them into Windows Movie Player, copy them to the desk top and append '.mpg' to each one.
    It may be convenient to merge them into one large file, so before the name change ,join them with this program - then you only have to rename one file.
    I am not familiar with WMM much and I prefer to use other software to author my DVD's as I want the final output on DVD and I don't think WMM can do that.
    http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_vobmerge_108.html

3. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  4. Sasquach1

Sasquach1 Guest

Once again I have to admit it Afterdawn, you are the man! I was perfectly able to edit the movies, thanx

{bR}Sasquach

5. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

good ood to see another person helped on afterdawn....