1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to extract audio content

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Scotttt, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Scotttt

Scotttt Member

I have a dvd that I want to burn some of the audio to a few ring tones. So the question is how do I identify and extract them from the video_ts files.

2. attar

attar Senior member

You have to rip the DVD to the HDD using the likes of DVDFab HD Decrypter.

Then use VOB2MPG to merge the vob files into a single mpeg file.

Run an audio editor (Audacity) and load the mpeg file.
    You will probably have to install the FFMpeg library (Edit > Preferences > Libraries and follow the instructions) before the file will load.

Scrub to the time that the sound you want and select it (Edit > Trim) the save it as a wav (File > Export).

3. Scotttt

Scotttt Member

Many thanks for the lesson. After many tries I finally got a edited selection that I'm happy with. I'll have to play with Audacity some more, I find it not the most user friendly.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Other ways:
    You can load the ripped DVD into DVD Shrink, click 'reauthor' and scrub through the video to the part you need then back it up.
    The result is a small .vob file that can now be loaded/dragged into into Audacity and edited some more.

You can load the DVD vob files into VirtualDub (with the mpeg2 plugin installed), select the clip then save the audio part as a wav.
    That's much faster than the way I posted - it's always a dilemma when responding whether offering too much is overwhelming or less is patronizing.

5. Scotttt

Scotttt Member

You most have been reading my mind. After spending the better part of an evening going through 60 minutes on one vob file, having multiple waveforms and not knowing which track playing was associated with which form, a faster and easier method is most welcomed.
    I'll give both suggestions a try.