1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to flash the 360's drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ravens1, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I want to be able to play backups on my 360. On another site there is a guide for burning the backups so i don't need help with that. I have been researching and found out i need to flash my 360 dvd drive. I have also read that i will need to buy hardware? And it will total like 170$, just to be able to play backups? So there is no way out of buying all this crap to just flash the drive? I just wanted to be 100% on this stuff. Thanks.

2. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

i dont know where you got that info from but its wrong.
    at the most you will need to spend about 25 bucks or so.
    look at the sticky on the first page about flashing your drive or look at 360mods .net.
    depending on your drive in the 360 and if you have on board sata you may not need to spend anything.
    also if you got the info on how to make bachups from the same place that told you to buy 170 bucks of crap to mod the 360 then you need to look for a guide from this site to help you make backups!

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I'll second that. The only thing you may need to buy is a pci sata card. And that's only if your pcs motherboard doesn't have the correct chipset.

Unless your 360 has the Hitachi 79 drive. Then you'll need to purchase and solder in a Passkey.

4. abohirr

abohirr Member

And if I do have the Hitachi 79 drive? ;-;

5. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

if you have the 79 than its like bhetrick said, it needs to be chiped before you flash.

6. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

That could be a problem. Do you have any past experience soldering mod chips? If you don't, then honestly you may want to either find some who can install it and flash the drive, or swap that 360 for one with a different drive.

I have been installing mod chips in consoles for quite awhile, and it is a delicate process for the 360. I would not recommend it to someone new as it is very easy to fry the drive.

7. phelixnyc

phelixnyc Regular member

It will be harder being that you (or some hired help which can cost you) will need to perform some soldering. As with all other drives all you will need is the right VIA chipset sata controller to flash the drive.

8. abohirr

abohirr Member

haha, I've tried modding my old fat ps2 before; it failed horribly.

I guess I should replace my Xbox for another one with a different drive. Too bad I won't be able to find another Halo edition, but I can always get a nice custom case. Disassembling is really easy.

9. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Ok, i have a BenQ/Philips/LiteOn drive. So i guess that means if i want to mod it i will have to solder? If thats the case then I'll just forget the whole modding thing because i don't want to risk screwing up my 360. I put in a solderless chip in my xbox original so i don't have any experience with soldering

Thanks for the help

10. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

i have not yet flashed a benq, but i have read that they are a easy drive to flash, some of the other guys here can give some info on it.
    you can go yo 360mods.net and look for textbooks giude in the downloads, it will help you out.

11. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

OK thanks. I will see what that site has.

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

The Benq is easy to flash. The only thing you'll need is a VIA or NFORCE chipset. So if your pc motherboard has either, then you're good to go. If not then you'll need a pci sata card. And that should only set you back $20~$30.

13. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

So how do i find out if i have a via or nforce chipset, and then what do i do with it? And if not what does the sata card do?

thanks