1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to format my hdd and install new os

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by A316, Mar 6, 2013.

1. A316

A316 Regular member

hey guys my cousin just bought 2nd hand mac but there are too many applications downloaded in it so i was wondering if u can tell me how to format and install a new copy of mac os
    please help me out i have no idea mac works but i know how windows works :p
    and let me also ask u that the person he bought this mac from did not give him and disk or application disk so can i download one from torrent and will it work ???

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Check and see if there is a recovery partition on the hard drive that will let re-install the Mac OS. Usually if you do a clean install it will give you the option to do a format.

Here is a youtube video that shows you how to do a format on a Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB1F7axRghE

3. A316

A316 Regular member

hmm i have already watched that video let me ask u should i dont load the os from torrents as i told u the installation disk is missing :(

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes but the right version for that mac as latest version might not work with it.

5. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

Question click the apple logo on the upper left corner of the screen once the machine is booted select about this mac and please tell us what it says this will help us more to tell you compatible o.s and what you need all though i cannot tell you where to get it because it is against the rules