1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get 592 X 240 xvid to fill screen??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ericy5150, Feb 7, 2005.

1. ericy5150

ericy5150 Member

I have an xvid with a resolution of 592 X 240 and
    23.976 fps, and used Diko to convert to NTSC DVD. It plays ok in my onkyo, but even when I hit expand, the image still has black bars on top and bottom. Is there anything I can do in the encoding process, or is there a different software I can use to expand the original xvid?? Thanks!

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Again DVD. How many times do I have to say that garbage IN = garbage OUT? If you are creating a 4.5 GB DVD movie from a 600-900 MB AVI, which quality do you expect to obtain ? Use TMPGenc, starting the Wizard and selecting the type of the movie you want to encode (avoid DVD; use VCD NTSC, the easiest, or SVCD NTSC - a little bit harder: you have to calculate the VBR bitrate setting to choose with FitCD). In the wizard, on step 2 select the movie, and on step 3 stop and click on 'Other Settings'. Select Advenced___Video Arrange Method=full screen (aspect ratio). Select Source Aspect Ratio = 16:9 (NTSC, PAL, 16:9 display... what makes the preview appear best). Then, always on Advanced, go to 'clip frame', be sure that 'resized image is used to display preview' and, if needed, clip Left/Right untill you see a good screen. You'll have to clip Top/Bottom too, if you have black border. Just play with the movie and resze it.
    When you've done, be sure that Video__Motion Search precision=highest quality (very slow) is selected and click OK. You'll go back to the wizard, Next --> Step 4 ignore it) next---> select the movie outpur name (By default NAME.MPG is the input movie was MOVIE.MPG) and OK to Start ancoding immediately (you could create a project for batch encoding, too). In few hours you'll have your movie.

3. ericy5150

ericy5150 Member

Thank you for your reply. I didn't expect to gain great quality, although this xvid is 1.48G to begin with. Also, I converted 399mb episodes of "24" to dvd and they look great on my 55" Widescreen.
    The clarity of this xvid is great...I just wanted to fill up my screen more. Thank you for you knowledge and response.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

OK. I agree with you that a 1.48 GB AVI should be very good. The problem is that people expects good resultd by 700 MB AVI --> DVD!

Careful: maybe also multiple SVCD movies on a DVD should be very good (after all, more or less 2/3 CD-ROM = 1 SVCD movie), also, and many SVCD movies fit on a DVD (see http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/multiple_svcd_on_dvdr.cfm). After all, SVCD = 480x480, more or less your movies'.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  5. ericy5150

ericy5150 Member

Yeah.I guess I could pack a few movies on one dvd and not waste the space...thanks!!