1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to get a USB 2.0 port?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by sinarades, Feb 21, 2007.

1. sinarades

sinarades Regular member

I was wondering how do u get a USB 2.0 port i have a lower version but i do not know what it is because when i plug in my psp it says u need a 2.0 usb port to make this device go faster. And i wanted to know if u needed to buy one and install it on your computer or do u download a update and it just updates your old usb port and makes it 2.0. can some one help me out? Thanks.

2. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

How old is your computer? Do you have a laptop or desktop? What OS are you running? Did you just do a reformat with out the updates or service packs?

If you have a newer computer you may just need a USB host controller driver. Check your device manager. You may be able to download one from Microsoft's web site.

If your computer is pretty old, you might only have USB 1.1 on your system, check your device manager. You can purchase a USB 2.0 card and install it into your system. When looking for a USB card be aware that some manufacturers label their cards a little different. Generally USB 1.1 is called just USB, while USB 2.0 is referred to as Hi-Speed. So if you can't find a USB 1.1 or 2.0 callout on the packaging look for it to be called Hi-Speed. The thing to watch for here is that some companies also label their products as Full Speed USB, this is actually USB 1.1 and not what you are wanting to get. So make sure what you are looking at is called either USB 2.0 or USB Hi Speed. If you are also going to want to change the ports on the front of your case you should look for a USB 2.0/Hi Speed card that lists at least 1 INTERNAL port. You will use this plug to connect the cable coming off your cases USB ports to make them communicate at 2.0. You could also get one of the new devices that would be located in a floppy drive slot, but that would be an additional purchase to your new USB card.