1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get PDF tables into Excel

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by sunshine9, Jun 1, 2007.

1. sunshine9

sunshine9 Member

Hi,

I have Acrobat Professional 8 and Microsoft Excel 2002 (SP3). I get PDF files that contain what looks like to be tables on several pages that contain columns of numeric and text data.

I would like to get this table information into MS Excel, so I can produce graphs on the data.

Whenever I try to do a cut and paste or an export and then put it in Excel, it includes garbage data as well as the data I want and is not in any fixed delimited form that I can use.

Some rows do not necessarily have data in the table columns.

Anyone know how I can get the data from these tables (on several pages) into Excel without the garbage (might be the column separators) and having an Excel Column for each table column?

I see there are many products you can buy, but I was hoping there was a way to do without purchasing another product or having to be an expert at Excel.

Thanks,
    Kyle.

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Hi there. :)

I just recently did something similar in my I.T course and what we did was highlight it and then copy and paste in into a text file. (.txt) and then from that file you can try import the file in excel or go to access and import the file and then export it as a excel workbook.

Either one of these methods should work and yes you may need to add the comma or another symbol so that the program knows when the new info starts. You can try taking it through the wizard. Im not sure if the wizard is in excel or word im sorta certian that its in word import it into there and then you can do what you like with it, using the other Microsoft Products.

Good luck i hope i helped. :)

3. sunshine9

sunshine9 Member

Hi borhan9,

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately I have already tried this, as well as exporting or saving in different formats and they all add varying amounts of the following characters to the begining of each line and also combines multiple rows of the table on a single line.

ÒÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÒ Ò Ò Ò Ò Ò Ò Ò

Because of the large amount of table data I have, manually editing the text to add the commas would take a very long time. Even if I was able to get ride of the above show characters.

I would like to be able to take the entire PDF that has tables on multiple pages and get them into Excel in just a few steps.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kyle.

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The only other thing that comes to mind is to get a program that converts the pdf to a straight document and then inport it as a raw document file.

Im not exactly sure what or how else this could happen.

If you want you can send me a pm with your email address and you can send me the file and i can have a look and try to convert it for you.

5. whompus

whompus Active member

6. sunshine9

sunshine9 Member

Hi whompus,

Thanks for the Web page reference.

This Web page has instructions using Adobe Acrobat 5.0.

I have Adobe Acrobat Professional Version 8 and it seems to function differently.

I have tried the Column Select Tool (even though I need a whole lot more) and it stills seems to give me the garbage characters and more than one column of the table.

I can send a sample piece of the PDF that has the tables that I am trying to get into Excel, if that would help someone understand what I am trying to do.

If any of you are a Sprint cell phone customer and know how to get to the Bill Archiving on the Sprint web page, that produces a PDF version of your bill details and the phone call details tables in that PDF is what I am trying to get into Excel.

Thanks,
    Kyle.