1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to get rid of pop up ads??

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by me_24112, Aug 15, 2004.

1. me_24112

me_24112 Member

i went to a site to download software, and every since that download, I have had problems with my computer. My computer is slow on the net, i keep getting pop up ads. so i downloaded spysweeper--didn't fix it. removed that and downloaded spybot--didn't fix it. removed that and downloaded bps spyware remover, and this has not fixed the pop up problem either. now i dont want to use just a pop up stopper because i have not had this problem before, and i just dont want to cover the problem up, i want to remove whatever is causeing the popups, because when my homepage loads, i get an advertisement page to load as well. now, i am running windows xp professional and i had already disabled the thing that stopped messages popping up. also, i checked in regedit and its not ezula, and i dont particularly notice anything different in there, but thats not to say that it is not. but what could be causing these popups all the sudden and how do i remove the problem, not cover it up with something like popup stopper. also, i run norton antivirus 2004, and of course it is up to date.

please help me, its getting very annoying.

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I use SpyStopper 3.0
    It sits in the system tray and blocks everything on the way in.
    I the last 5 weeks since my last re-format it has blocked 4,627 Ads, 2,672 Bugs, 16 worms and loads of cookies.
    I absolutely never ever ever get any adverts popping up. Not one, ever. (Am I overdoing this?)
    I also regularly use AdAware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster.

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

two words
    Mozilla
    Firefox
    only the best browser available (with pop up blocking)

Also run adware/spybot/etc every now and then to clean out