1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get swap magic disks to work on new PStwo , IN HERE!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by hiredgoon, Oct 17, 2004.

1. hiredgoon

hiredgoon Regular member

ok i got pissed off at no help so i just hacked it myself.

what you need:

1. PStwo system
    2. Swap magic cd version 3.2 and DvD v2.0 disks
    3. Duck tape, or anything like that.
    4. A small screw driver.

Step one

Open the PStwo (this does void the warranty). There are 6 screws located under the square pads at the bottom. Unscrew them and break the black seal at the back of the ps2. The cover then snaps off easy.

Step 2

Locate the the 2 objects that tell the ps2 the flip cover is closed (i call them tabs). These are little square boxes with a piece of plastic sticking out that are on a spring mechanism (these tabs are very small). You know you found them when you can touch the top and a piece of plastic moves in and out. Tab # 1 is located right behind the reset button and is easy to see. You can even see that tab #1 when the full cover is on the ps2 and the tray is open. The second tab (which is brown or tan colour on my ps2) is located right beside the LAN Ethernet port and is directly in front of the warranty seal. Its pretty easy to see because its sitting there all alone at the bottom of the ps2.

Step 3.

Cut super small squares of tape and place it on top of the tabs to make the little plastic deeley stay down. That is all you have to do. Just make the plastic spring thing stay down. It was pretty easy to do, and I made sure not to put tape on the green motherboard just in case. Make sure you tape both tabs down and they stay down.

Step 4.

Place the cover pack on and screw the screws back in.

DONE, the easy hacking part.

Step 5.

place the swap magic dvd into the ps2 let it boot up then all you have to do it take out the disk and put in your backup dvd then close the lid and hit X. I have GT3 on a memorex DVD+R and it worked right away.

Sorry for any typos or the vague description of the tabs. They are pretty easy to find and if someone could post my pic i have them circled so you can easily identify them

Have fun.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. hiredgoon

hiredgoon Regular member

I ran into a problems playing Street fighter anniversary collection.

I got the game to boot up and i see all the title screens and videos but then when i go to choose third strike or the other street fighter game i get a please insert ps2 FORMAT disk.

this is the only game that does this, everything else seems to work fine.. I am trouble shooting the problem , maby i burned it too fast.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  3. jonels

jonels Regular member

i think that would happen on the "old" ps2 as i guess its rebooting from info on put in the ps2 memory by the main menu

4. hiredgoon

hiredgoon Regular member

I got the game to work on my old regular ps2.... so the game does work.

5. hiredgoon

hiredgoon Regular member

Update, the ps2 says to Insert a FORMAT disk.

what the hell is that?

6. CHADSR

CHADSR Member

I forgot to ask you when i took my pstwo apart a little metal plate like piece came out.Where does this go?

7. convolute

convolute Regular member

8. Liam1080

Liam1080 Guest

All from PS2ownz:
    THANKS fhornmikey!
    ----- ----- -----

How to Modify your PSTwo to be fully compatible with Swap magic, CD Loader, and Cogswap Loader.

Tutorial and pictures by fhornmikey@hotmail.com

Tools needed:
    Duct Tape
    Super Glue
    Scissors
    A Q-Tip (or something small to help guide the little pieces of plastic)
    Tweasers (not necessary, but highly reccommended in case you screw up)
    Small section of plastic (anything will work here, it needs to be pretty thin, but you can just use some of the thicker plastic covering from the case of a new PS2 control/remote or some of the thin plastic from the box the super glue came in, etc.)

Your new PSTwo:
    http://img94.exs.cx/img94/8633/TheNewPSTwo.jpg

1. Flip over your PSTwo console and remove the six covers over the screws.
    http://img94.exs.cx/img94/8579/PSTwoScrews.jpg

2. Remove the six screws from your PSTwo.
    http://img42.exs.cx/img42/1705/Screwsrevealed.jpg

3. Carefully pry open your PSTwo on the right side (where the three holes are for the vertical stand) and be very gentle.
    http://img42.exs.cx/img42/8009/PryOpen.jpg

4. Slowly run your fingers around the outside edges of the casing along the areas where the plastic splits to seperate the top section of your PSTwo from the bottom section.

5. Place the two pieces of your disassemble PSTwo on a nice flat hard surface.
    http://img99.exs.cx/img99/6281/TheDisassembledPSTwo.jpg

6. Looking at the bottom portion of your PSTwo, look just to the left of the DVD/CD rom drive, you should see a small switch sitting slightly lower than it's surroundings, this is the internal switch.
    http://img99.exs.cx/img99/4729/InternalFar.jpg

7. Cut out a small piece of the thin plastic approximately the size of the switch (it should be a tiny rectangular piece).
    http://img99.exs.cx/img99/8974/Pieceofplastic.jpg

8. Place the piece of plastic on a flat surface, and take your Q-tip (which has been stripped of the fluffy cotton part) and lick the end of your cue tip to get it wet so that it has some hold.

9. Take the wet Q-Tip and pick up your small piece of plastic with it, and then carefully wet down the other side with a very small amount of super glue (a little super glue goes a LONG WAY).
    http://img99.exs.cx/img99/5989/SuperGlue.jpg

10. Quickly after you apply the super glue, carefully take your q-tip with the plastic piece, and push it down on the internal switch (you should move from the front to the back so that you push down the switch as you apply the plastic. You should then hold the q-tip there for a minute or so to help insure you get a good seal.
    http://img99.exs.cx/img99/9922/Internalclose.jpg

11. Now, while the internal switch is drying it's time to address the externally accessible switch. Take a look at the top portion of your PSTwo andlook at the front lefthand corner, you should see a small rectuangular hole, this is where the switch comes through to make contact with the flip top lid.
    http://img99.exs.cx/img99/3775/Externalfar.jpg

12. Cut out another small piece of plastic just slightly bigger than the first.

13. Now take a piece of duct tape that is slightly wider and a longer (more long than wide) than your piece of plastic, and place your piece of plastic square in the middle of it.
    http://img99.exs.cx/img99/5994/Externalclose.jpg

14. Carefully take your piece of duct tape, and place the piece of plastic squarely over the hole, with the duct tape around to seal the piece of plastic on there. Your externally accessible switch should now look like this from inside the disc tray:
    http://img99.exs.cx/img99/3457/Disc...ternalfinal.jpg

15. (optional) if you wish to add some extra security to your covering, cut another piece of duct tape and lay it lengthwise across the original (as seen in my photos).

16. That's it, you're done, now, should you want to make your PSTwo behave like a production model PSTwo, all you have to do is remove the duct tape from the top portion of the disassembled PSTwo (the lid portion).

17. Carefully put back together your PSTwo and enjoy!

How to play games on the new PSTwo:

Games that boot with Swap Magic DVD 2.0:
    1. insert swap magic DVD 2.0 into your PSTwo and close the cover.
    2. turn on your PSTwo.
    3. at the prompt, open up the cover and put in your PS2 DVD backup or import game and close the lid.
    4. hit X and voila, enjoy your game.

Games that boot with Swap Magic CD 3.2:
    1. Follow DVD instructions but replace the DVD discs with the CD discs.

CD based games that need CDLoader:
    1. insert your swap magic 3.2 CD into your PSTwo and close the cover.
    2. turn on your PSTwo.
    3. at the prompt, open your cover, and put in the CD Loader Version 7ALL disc into your PSTwo, and close the lid.
    4. hit X on your controller and wait as CD Loader boots up.
    5. once CD Loader boots up, open your flip top and place in your CD based PSTwo backup game.
    6. Close the lid, hit X to start the game, and enjoy.

DVD based games that need CDLoader:
    1. insert your swap magic 3.2 CD into your PSTwo and close the cover.
    2. turn on your PSTwo.
    3. at the prompt, open your cover, and put in the CD Loader Version 7ALL disc into your PSTwo, and close the lid.
    4. hit X on your controller and wait as CD Loader boots up.
    5. once CD Loader boots up wait until you hear the disc stop spinning, then open your flip top and insert your swap magic 2.0 DVD, now close the flip top, and hit Triangle.
    6. after you see "Media: PS2 DVD" appear in the bottom left hand corner, hit X on your controller.
    7. you will then be brought to the DVD Loader prompt with the red background of "Put in a DVDR by EA Method," now you just open your flip top, insert your DVDR backup, close the flip top, and hit X to play, voila, enjoy your game!

The advantages of doing it this way are simple:
    1. the Mod is EASY to remove (all you have to do is remove the duct tape on the inside of the flip top lid (top portion when disassembled) and put it back together, and your PSTwo will behave exactly like a unmodded production model PSTwo.
    2. when swapping, you only have to switch discs and hit buttons on the controller, no messing with any of the actual internal workings of the PSTwo.

Because this mod is totally removable, I personally consider it to the be the ideal option, simply because being able to easily restore your PSTwo to complete original factory working condition is incredibly handy should you decide to sell it, or return it for any reason (I know I have a 2 year ESA on mine at EB in case I screwed it up.) Also, this mod uses the most easilly accessible materials, with minimal tools required (all of the materials I used can be easily acquired at your local gas station). All in all, I think it's probably the easiest solution for the person in search of a 10 minute mod to make their PSTwo fully backup and import compatible with Swap Magic.

9. Baltois

Baltois Guest

I just want to advise not to use super glue like the last tutorial said.

It's a long story but here's my justification.

I had problems because when I finished the tutorial I found I tapped the front switch by accident and the power button didn't push in fully. So I opened it up again, and moved the tape out of the way. After closing it I tested it again, but it wouldn't start any games. In fact it acted exactly like the lid was open even when it was closed. Which made me really freak out.

I couldn't figure out what exactly was going on. I played around with the switch over the power button but it didn't help at all. So I figured it must of been the only other switch I modified. So I removed the super glued plastic piece and had to scrape the super glue out of the switch to allow it to open. If I waited any longer the super glue could of hardened even more and probably would cause an even bigger problem.

So I started it up with both the switches unmodded once again and with the lid open I started the machine. To my relief it functions properly once again. So I instead tapped both switches down, and it works fine now.

I'm still not sure if the problem I ran into was some sort of saftey mechanism(or anti-swapping mechism) of the new PS2, or if the super glue had some ill effects on the back switch. Anyways using tape is the safest bet, and the switch doesn't really have enough tension to need to be super glued. So if tape is used you can easily fix this problem if it by chance happens to you.

10. SMK79

SMK79 Guest

The above remarks are completely correct. I used superglue on mine as well, and the damn thing wont play anything, it wont even spin the damn dvds. Unfortunately, I didnt get the glue off in time, I am unable to scrape it off, so my system is pretty much fucked. Thank god i work at certain retailer where i can return it as defective, and get another one.
    DONT USE SUPERGLUE, WHATEVER YOU DO, USE THE TAPE ONLY!!!!!!

11. Baltois

Baltois Guest

I think I kind of know what exactly causes it. It seems there is a check of some sort when running your ps2. If it detects the back switch is held down and the front is up it seems to lock out the system telling it the cover is open. Even by reseting and removing power it seems to retain this information until the back switch is released again as well as the front one.

So the statement that said you'd just have to remove the front one to restore the system to normal working order is wrong. So if you've already glued the back switch and it's still working, make sure you never release the front switch.

12. khyperdan

khyperdan Member

nail polish remover\acetone is supposed to be a solvent for crazy glue, so using a small amount of acetone on a qtip might help to dissolve the crazy glue and get the plastic piece backoff. just a thot

13. OAKside24

OAKside24 Regular member

EVERYONE here: THANKS!
    -Thanks VERY MUCH hiredgoon for the Tape-Mod tutorial
    -SMK79: I want a job where you work
    -CD/DVD Loader dependent games apparently will NOT work with these PStwo mods as convolute says
    -MANY people DO NOT recommend superglue and hiredgoon's Tape-mod seem to work no problem. So go with Baltois' advice: Go tape!

14. Liam1080

Liam1080 Guest

lol just a question is there any rybon cables or anything like the old ps2 i should be woried about when taking it apart?

15. playa713

playa713 Member

has anyone got the disc id utiity to work for the new pstwo yet?

16. hiredgoon

hiredgoon Regular member

"lol just a question is there any rybon cables or anything like the old ps2 i should be woried about when taking it apart? "

No , there is no cables to be woried about when trying to to the tape mod.

There is however a small cable off to the side. but unless you take the whole ps2 apart and seriosuly try to yank it it will not come lose or fall off. This cable is also tucked away so there is about 0% chance of messing around with it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  17. asrgames

asrgames Regular member

I just bought a new PS Two because my old PS2 finaly died, but i was wondering if Swap Disc 3.2 works good with the new PS Two and does SD 3.2 support Imported
    Japanese games, because i just bought the new Berserk
    game Special Edition $150.00, and i need to know before i open the game if it will work with SD 3.2 and I don't want to void the warnty on the PS Two,
    so any information would be EXTREMLY helpfull.

thanks

18. OAKside24

OAKside24 Regular member

hiredgoon or anyone:

-Have you tried many games yet?

-Have you had the "PStwo shutdown" issue others are having? [Where the Pstwo won't play another SMD game after the first one, and you must unplug power]

19. asrgames

asrgames Regular member

I don't have any other Japanese games to try.

20. hinksey

hinksey Member

Hi there everyone ...... ok! I did all the taping, not sticking.I did it to both internal switches.Then I put the consol back together, turned it on ... started fine, the got stuck whilst loading a disc, so we took out the disc and reloaded SM,got stuck again.So I left it for 10 minutes, had a drink, then went back to it.Turned it on ...... put in the SM disc, the machine didnt find the disc, tried again, still no good.Turned off the machine.Put in a normal bought disc, consol couldnt find that either.So I went to bed and tried this morning, still no good.Im sure it had burned out the laser in the head.I took all the tape out of the consol, replaced the warrenty tag, and took the machine back as faulty, which by this time it was, would not read any of my discs.There is something a foot with those switches, they must be some sort of circuit breaker that is also linked to the laser in the head.First of all I thought it would clear it self, but as I stated even leaving over night did nothing.I really love my machine, and it nearly broke my heart to take a screwdriver to it on its first day, and I know that I was lucky to get it replaced.I dont want to mess the one one up.So I will now be waiting to see what comes on the market.If you hear of a new swap macgic, will you please post it.My advise to anyone who is thinking about taking your lovely new slim lime ps2 apart is .... dont, just wait !!