1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to hav XBMC automatically load up as my dashboard

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by iknowuc, Nov 17, 2007.

1. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

so i hav xbmc changed it to th xbmc 360 theme but i cant have it load up automatically when i turn on my xbox it goes into the normal dashboard and then i have to go to the games and apps and select the XBMC and thats when it starts working but thats bothersome so i was wonderin if it is possible that is there a way that it loads up automatically without havin 2 select everytime you turn off the xbox so that it will load when u turn it on without selectin it

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Either refer to the XBMC wiki or simply let AID do it for you!

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yep, in AID, install XBMC as an actual dashboard; that's what i've done and it works great

4. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

i couldnt wait so i google nd tried somebodys idea to do the target path through the default xbe and now my xbox has the error 21 how do i fix this

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2007
  5. audogstar

audogstar Member

See Chunkheads posts :

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/536595#3246424

Error 21: Dashboard Failure. Either 'Hotswap' or rebuild HDD. Also the error shown after an Xbox Live banning! Rebuild is the only answer, however you are permanently banned from LIVE!
    * Try inserting an original game and attempt to connect to Xbox Live. You don't need to be connect to the net, but the game disc may update your dash and fix the error.*

6. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

no i know im not banned its just that the dashboard is corrupted and i need to fix it thats all

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Why dis you ask for advice, then completely ignore the advice I gave you? The XBMC wiki shows you how to enable it as a dash, which is easier then Googling for some other solution...

8. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

i tried hotswapping and rebuilding but both didnt work when i tried to rebuild when i was at the number menu for what action to do i kept pressing 1 nd it said invalid input and when i hotswapped the xplorer didnt find the hdd after i scaned for changes in device manager and installed the driver for the hdd

9. tx3000

tx3000 Guest

I do not know or understand where you got this information from or why you keep telling people it explains how in the wiki
    If you do not have a DVD burner then you cannnot burn AID so you have to do something else to get XBMC to launch as a dash

That leaves only 3 other options (If there are more then I do not know them)
    Option 1: XBE Shortcut maker
    Option 2: Using X-Select 6
    Option 3: opening up certain files and editing them manually

Option 1: I cannot use XBE Shortcut maker because it gives me an error message when trying to launch it and then shuts down the program so that is out

Option 2: I cannot get X-Select 6 onto a softmodded system so that option is also out

So now I am just left with my soft modded x-box that was modded with SID... and OPTION 3

Now I would like to know how to get XBMC to launch as a dashboard

The Wiki does not explain:
    1) What files need to be edited
    2) Where these files are located
    3) How to open the files in order to edit them
    4) What lines to edit the files with

If this stuff is in the Wiki then I would like someone to point it out because people keep saying the wiki explains how, then I'm going to call them on it...so please go ahead....point this out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2007
  10. creaky

if you haven't got a DVD burner or CD burner just get a friend to burn AID onto a cd-rw, easier than messing out with other methods...

11. tx3000

tx3000 Guest

WHY CAN'T FOR ONCE, SOMEONE JUST ANSWER A DAMN QUESTION WITHOUT ANY OF THESE SIDE COMMENTS AND OTHER SUGGESTIONS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT...I NEED A HOW-TO ANSWER, not another way try the same thing I just said I had no way of doing

Getting a friend with a DVD burner isn't going to happen.

I want to know 2 things:

1) Why I can't use XBE shortcut creator and I get an error message?
    Is there something like java runtime environment I need to have in order to launch it or something?
    2) How do I manually set up my softmodded system to launch XBMC as a dash

12. creaky

keep your hair on, re-reread what i said, i didn't dismiss that there are other ways, i just thought it might be easier to have a friend help you out as you don't appear to own a DVD burner (or even a CD burner); in case you missed the obvious, it doesn't even have to be a DVD burner, just a CD burner. However it's supposed to be fairly easy to FTP install XBMC, there's masses of info on how to do that here at AD, never mind the rest of the internet.

good grief, don't you just hate people who get stroppy because they can't figure out simple things when there's so much info that's out there for free on the net... i only started using xboxes last week, and from using what's on the internet i've now got a fully functioning XBMC-dash-booting xbox with a 250GB hard drive in; if i can do it anyone can (i just deliberately chose to install XBMC the easy way)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  13. tx3000

tx3000 Guest

I am not going to get into a debate with you about this:

All any of you people like to do, is piss people off by avoiding the question, then tell them not get pissy.

If you don't know then say so.

Now unless you or anyone else is going to give me a straight how-to answer, then they really need to stop posting replies in my topics with replies that do nothing but cause problems.

14. creaky

i said keep your hair on; also if i'm incorrect then prove it. i'm just redocumenting my latest install here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/557450/3558187 so yes, i know my methods (and the methods i've followed) work 100%..

ps- 'your topic' ?? - you've hijacked someone else's thread here, so i'd pipe down if i were you...

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Re: "I cannot use XBE Shortcut maker because it gives me an error message when trying to launch it "

If you had bothered to read what I wrote instead of acting like a two year old, you would have realized your mistake, apologized, fixed your xbox and be a happier person.

There is NOTHING to launch with the XBE Shortcut. You simply download the attached XBE file and rename it to the existing booting name. You then FTP that file to overwrite the current one on the xbox!

Also, your private messages are unappreciated.

16. creaky

tx3000 will shortly be having a vacation from the site, i've tolerated enough utter crap off him on the forums as it is..

17. tx3000

tx3000 Guest

I was right you people are no different than any other site

Creaky you people have nobody to blame but yourselves and never ever take responsibility for forcing someone to get to this point.

You people pull stunts like this, causing someone to RE-ACT like this then you have the balls to threaten them with a ban....
    Way to go....

You do realize that if people just answered my question in the very beginning there would be no multiple topics and posts and this conversation would not be taking place.

It's that simple. Don't foce me to be rude and I won't then everything will be fine.

otherwise I have no issues.

18. creaky

you've already been rude and horrendously immature to boot; you and nobody else; i'm taking responsibility for this site, and some obnoxious kid isn't going to rampage around our forums for much longer, you should be embarrassed by your (very public) outburts, this is a very public site..
    edit- i stumbled onto your previously posted antics AFTER you'd thrown your toys, you in fact forced me to take action due to the utter crap you've been posting. Cut out the attitude ASAP , you've already had enough warnings, i've been amazingly lenient thus far

19. tx3000

tx3000 Guest

I'll say it again:

I will re-act according to how I am being acted towards

and if you people want to run me in circles and reply telling me to do things that I HAVE CLEARLY stated then what happens after that is all your people's fault

I mearly came here to try to get an answer to a few things and all I got was the same thing said to me that I just got done saying didn't work or that I could not use.
    Then when i had enough and said something then you have the balls to blame me...but yet you people did that to me 1st.

So as I said don't make me repeat myself and Don't act like your the victim.

I will leave this alone now

20. creaky

iknowuc's thread can now continue..