1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Hotswap with XboxHDM v1.9 (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Aug 14, 2007.

1. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Alright i thought you said you had a mod chipped xbox too, as in another xbox.

The best solution to your problem is to use xbox hdm to build a drive from scratch and then copy aid to your xbox so you can install things from the hard drive.

I think i have a backedup hardmod at home that will do the trick, all you'll have to do is download the zipped file then build your new drive with the files i give you.

After that you can just throw the drive in your xbox and see if it works.

2. acidy

acidy Regular member

^ I have only one xbox and that's the hardmodded one ^^
    I was thinking since I've made a backup of my hardmodded xbox's C drive, I'll use those files and xboxHDM and build the "new HDD" from scratch ^^
    There's also something with the eeprom or something >.>
    I was thinking is there a way to backup the "new HDD" eeprom before I attempt to do this ^^

I've gone through the guide and I understood it ^^
    So, in this guide an eeprom isn't required >.>

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  3. acidy

acidy Regular member

I've tried it out and got nearly everything right... but the problem is that I have a SATA DVD drive :(
    Since this program is meant to run the files from the Slave IDE cable, it cannot find the Linux boot disk :(
    Is there any way to make xboxHDM to work on SATA DVD drives too ???

EDIT : Oh and the xbox HDD is in primary master IDE ^^
    The PC boots to xboxhdm and even detects the xbox HDD but doesn't start the actual software [i.e that xboxhd command]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. Vegas624

Vegas624 Member

Couple of questions if I may.

Have a XBox, according to the date and serial number either V.1 or 1.1, with a 21 code and want to reset it to OEM don't really care about modding it or anything just want to play games, for now anyway. I've read this tutorial and couple of things jumped out at me.

1. I have a SATA hard drive on my puter but have IDE ports. If I go into BIOS/setup, as suggested to someone on another reply, and set IDE to auto then unplug the HDD anyone know if it will read my drive?

2. If I am able to hotswap do I have to do anything else afterward or just start playing?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  5. Who_U

Who_U Member

is this possible if i cannot pull up error 12?...

u see, i have screwed up my old drive of my hardmodded xbox, and i was wondering, can this go on an old xbox drive, (it's 120 GB, but has xbox stuff on it) or can it go on a fresh drive (it has been formatted through windows, but is only 60GB)

please help me!!

ta

6. FaroZ06

FaroZ06 Member

I cannot get my HDD on the XBOX to unlock itsself. I turn the XBOX on without the video to RCA adapter plugged in, so there is no monitor (i'm at my cousin's house, but I forgot to bring the adapter. He has a PC we can open up) I wait a bit for the error to "show up" (I guess), then I do the hotswap. I boot the previously turned off PC up and boot from the CD. I get the screen and hit 1, then xboxhd. Then it says that it's locked, do I want to continue? I hit yes, then it doesn't let me choose some options in the 1-8 screen because the HDD is locked on the XBOX.

Bottom line, do I NEED a TV for the XBOX??? Please reply ASAP, I'm leaving soon!

7. Demonix90

Demonix90 Guest

You don't need a TV, I have done this without. I'll try to make this simple.

-Assuming your PC bios is set to read from CD first...

-Also you have 2 ISE cables connected to your PC mobo. The primary cable which had your PC HD (now disconnected) and the CD drive (connected). Your SECOND cable MUST be EMPTY, but connected into the second IDE slot on your mobo.

Turn on your PC FIRST with the boot CD inserted. IMMIDIATELY press the "Pause Break" button on your first splash screen, which is usually your motherboard logo with a loading bar. The computer will appear to have froze on this splash screen, not loading the CD or doing anything. Leave it idle at this screen for now. (DON'T PRESS PB again till told.)

We will now crash the Xbox to unlock the HD. Don't worry, it isn't really crashed. Even if you do mess something up and end up with a different error, XboxHDM fixes most. Turn on your Xbox with everything connected, no game inserted. Wait about 10 seconds, now unplug the DVD IDE cable from the Xbox. Power off your Xbox. Power back on your Xbox, since you don't have a TV, what happens in the splash screen goes, then you get error 12. (Just make sure the cables are plugged in in the back, so you DON'T get an orange light when you normally boot the Xbox.) So your Xbox will have a red light flashing about 3 seconds after power up, this is when you want to preform the hotswap. I MUST tell you to leave the Xbox IDE ribbon slighly loose, but still connected. You MUST pull all the ribbon from all 40 pins at once, so pull the ribbon out with a nice firm, even grip. If you wiggle it sideways, it's not going to work.

Unplug ONLY IDE ribbon from Xbox HD, leaving the HD power connected to the Xbox. Connect the PCs secondary cables Primary Master to your Xbox HD, and DONT turn off the Xbox.

Now on your PC, we can finally press pause break, letting the splash screen finish and your CD will load. If you have timed the hotswap to within about 3-10 seconds, when you start the linux, the Xbox HD is detected.

8. FaroZ06

FaroZ06 Member

I don't have the VGA adapter I'm afraid....Only the power cable for the XBOX! I forgot that XBOXs needed the adapters. Erg, I'm a fool!

9. FaroZ06

FaroZ06 Member

I did option 1 successfully, and it finished. It didn't say finished or anything, it just took me back to the options screen. Then I turned everything off and replugged the XBOX stuff and turned it on....an error 21 again. I have no game in it.

10. dntel123

dntel123 Member

Hey, can someone tell me if im connecting up right.

I unplug the xbox DVD drive to get error 12 screen.

I boot to the CD.

unplug the xbox Hard Drive IDE cable.

And Plug in my CD drives cable like this.

[​IMG]

So CD - to mobo slot - out to xbox hard drive

The cable From my CD drive goes like this:

[​IMG]

And this is the socket, the yellow one for the CD drive

[​IMG]

Can I not do it because i need an old IDE hard drive I currently have sata?

11. megsamil

megsamil Guest

Hey, thanks for the guide i used it and it worked great to a point, maybe you could provide some help. Here`s the story just so you know the whole deal. 1st I bought a used xbox on ebay for me and my son. When we got it it worked fine, we played for like 5 hrs, then when we tried to save a game it stopped, so I rebooted and got an 07 error. The next morning we tryed to turn it on and got 16 error. So I looked about and found your tutorial. Did everything (used a new hdd) but we never backed up the eeprom.bin, we couldnt get to it. when I tried the xbrowser on the original hdd it said that no xbox dives found or something like that. So I tried to plug in the new hdd we made, I got the 5 error, tried to lock it but it says it cant be locked without eeporm.bin.

After reading some more and seeing that I can add Evox to the new hdd via the xboxhd script and seeing that Evox can be used to backup the eeprom.bin logic would say that I could use this new harddrive to back up the eeprom.bin off the board and rewite the disk with the eeprom.bin file. Is this possible without locking? Pls help we have tried everything even running a disk clone. As a last resort we buy just buy a modchip but do they come with the eeprom.bin to match them? Or dose my logic make any sense and could I do it that way? Thax in adavnce

12. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Nope sadly it won't work. The drive has to be locked to do anything, it's one of those errors that come first. If you have the error it will hang and all you can do is look at the error.

You will either have to use the old hdd to load an expliot or softmod and backup the eeprom that way or make an eeprom reader.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863
    There's a link to get you started.

13. FaroZ06

FaroZ06 Member

I'm not trying to mod or anything. My @#$%in' XBOX got an error 21. I did the tutorial on this thread, and it completed successfully. The hotswap worked, the software worked, etc. Then I plugged everything back into their original places, and guess what? Another error 21!

Did some system files not get copied?
    I tried FatXplorer, but it didn't work as the computer I was using keeps dying when I connect the C: drive and the XBOX drive. It seems to stop detecting its drive once I plug the XBOX drive in to an open IDE port. Please help!

14. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Can you still boot games? Most xbox's will boot games with an error 21. You should try to load a newer game like halo 2 and see's if it trys to update the dash to 5960. Maybe that's all you need to do.

If not you will have to backup the contents of the drive then delete the contents and put the new msdash 5960 files back on the drive.

Use these files MS DASH 5960 (clean)

It could also be something in E causing problems, just delete the contents of tdata and udata after backing them up. All you should have in your E: is udata, tdata (and maybe cache). Partitions x,y,z can also be cleared out (no need to back them up, they are temp folders).

If none of the above work let me know and we'll figure something out.

15. megsamil

megsamil Guest

Thanks C4RN1,

I will try to load an expliot called Ndure 3.0 I found a TUT on another forum to do it, but I have one question, If I run the xboxhd 1.9 on my org hdd will it wipe my org eeprom folder? It doesnt seem like it from your TUT and this other one but I want to be sure before I try, seems like if the eeprom fold got wiped out I'd really be up a creek. Thanks again.

16. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

That's the thing, there is no eeprom folder. The eeprom is contained on this little chip on the board. The modded software reads that code and dumps the info in a folder. You don't write an eeprom to a hard drive, you lock the hard drive with the eeprom. You don't need a folder named eeprom on your hard drive. As long as the eeprom.bin file is in the eeprom folder then xboxhdm will reconize the file and use it to lock the drive. There won't be a eeprom.bin file on your drive unless you backed up your eeprom.

Unlike xbox 360's you can fix any regular xbox if it boots a green screen. You use the eeprom reader to get the eeprom.bin file, make a xboxhdm cd and it's a cake walk.

I hope i didn't confuse you or leave anything out, i've been at this for years and literally do this stuff in my sleep.

If you have any other questions let me know, i'll be around.

17. megsamil

megsamil Guest

Ok I think I got it, thanks for clearing that up about the eeprom.bin, I should have asked that question days ago it maybe it would be fix but now, I will try to run the xboxhm with the ndure on the retail hdd and hope the first error I got (07) didnt mess up the hdd too bad, if not I do the eeprom reader thing. thanks for your help my son will be happy when we can play again!

18. FaroZ06

FaroZ06 Member

I get error 21 no matter what is inside.

19. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Alright FaroZ06 you need to try the other things i said. Try the clean dash files and if that doesn't work try to delete the temp partition contents and maybe the contents of E: udata and tdata.

Just make sure you back everything up first, you dont' want to delete something you may need later.

megsamil hope you get it all working.

20. FaroZ06

FaroZ06 Member

I put the clean files in. Everything on E: is gone except for the empty TDATA and UDATA folders.
    Still nothing. You said that I should put a new game in?

Most of my games are old. What will work? I have NFS Carbon, Crash Twinsanity, Midtown Madness 3, Project Gotham Racing 2, Test Drive: Eve of Destruction, Ford vs Chevy, NASCAR '07, and some other games that I'm sure are way too old.

Will any of those work?
    I'm gonna try them. Please reply if they don't; it'll save time.

Post Scriptum: I can't do much right now because the computer with an IDE port is at my cousin's house.