1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Hotswap with XboxHDM v1.9 (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Aug 14, 2007.

1. burndogg

burndogg Member

HI,

I was just wondering if there was any way I could do this using only IDE port? or via flash drive or something? Both the computers I have only have the one port.

2. ktorvalds

ktorvalds Guest

I'm having a bit of a problem. I've done everything as per the tutorial. When I get to the point of booting from the CD, I hit "1" then enter to boot the VGA console with xbox hdd build tools, then it starts to load up. I get to the screen with the penguin in the top left, with all the status messages and such, and as soon as it gets down to the memory driver ver. 1.2, it just sits there, the cd drive spins down, and nothing else happens. Any ideas?

Thanks!

3. chee16

chee16 Member

i really hope this thread is still open and someone can help me.

to start, i softmodded with Spinter Cell and a home made USB connector. worked good. it played games fine but wor some reason always froze up on the "unleashx" logo screen, plus it wouldn't load to the MS Dash even though i chose the dual boot option. so i made a copy of slayer 2.7 and started seeing what i could do, i tried to restore the MS Dash and bam unleash X worked. seemed great. so i FTPed into the xbox with my laptop and a crossover cable (and Flash FXP) and thought i would put XBMC in the apps area. it worked fine the first time i tried it and after i powered down and tried everything again, back to the freezing at unleashx.

i have tried a lot of stuff. i do have the eeprom saved on my computer. i have tried slayers for formatting the drives and rebuilding everything, it formatts (now my SC games saves are gone) but rebuilds nothing. i tried xboxhdm 4.0 to do the same thing and it just seems like they all seem like they are working, but still freeze at the unleashx logo. i tried hotswapping back to original MS dash with this tutorial, but it either tells me my hard drive is locked, or warns me about losing everything on the drive so i press Y and nothing happens. i tried unlocking the hard drive with Magic config, nothing, with the option on the slayer disc, nothing.

sorry for the long post but i figured the more info you guys had the better equiped you would be to help me. i don't really care about going back to the original, to be honest i just want to run a modded dash with XBMC as an option.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you very much!

4. chee16

chee16 Member

i forgot to add that i can still play games at this point no problem. i also tried updating the ms dash with Halo 2 by selecting Xbox Live, it seems to work but nothing changes. thanks again

5. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Sounds like you have bad dash files. You can try to use my softmod files to get everything working.

First identify your version
    http://www.xboxscene.com/versions.php

You can also indentify it by reading the eeprom with liveinfo

After you identified your version pick the correct set of files in my signature.

Use 1.0-1.4 for those versions and use 1.4-1.6 for those versions. A 1.4 can use either set of files.

Ftp the set of files and replace everything, you may want to use an exploit to ftp because if you're using a dash that is going to get overwritten you may experience problems.

Ftp the contents of my C to your C, and my E (if it exists) to your E.

When it's all done transfering turn off the xbox and turn it back on and it should boot avalaunch.

I know it will work because it's worked on over 100 xbox's. Just let me know if you get stuck or don't understand my directions.

BTW:
    Slayers and config magic are for hard modded xbox's. You don't want to screw around with locking/unlocking with a softmod or you can render that drive useless. Use common sense and research everything to see what it is.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  6. chee16

chee16 Member

i knew that slayers was for chipped boxes but read somewhere that you could use it to solve a similar problem to mine, but it sounds like you know what you are doing so i will disregard those 2. thanks.

my big problem is that i can't FTP to the xbox as i can't get the dash to load up ( i think you need to be in the dash to FTP?). i did FTP to the xbox to backup my eeprom but i haven't been able to since. i use: IP 192.168.0.3 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 but not sure what the default gateway is supposed to be. i will look at your FTP link and see if it helps me out.

Thank you, i really appreciate the quick message. this has been keeping me up the last 3 nights as i have been trying everything.

7. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Use the exploit that you used to do your softmod. Load your game then load the game save exploit. In the options you'll see your ip address and then you can ftp. I always ftp with exploits when i'm deleting important files.

If you can't ftp you'll either have to hotswap or unlock the drive then use xplorer360 to mod the files then relock the drive.

Either way there's ways around any problem you might have.

8. chee16

chee16 Member

ya somehow in all this i seem to have lost the exploit files. so using that to FTP isn't really an option.

i tried the hotswap about 30 times (seriously) but the hard drive never seems to unlock. i unplug the DVD, boot to the err 12 (supposed to unlock HD) and then boot the computer with the HD unplugged and the boot disk (MS dash files in C:, eeprom in eeprom file and E: with TDATA UDATA). then plug in the Xbox HD to the computer. it either goes to a screen telling me my hard drive is locked and asking if i want to continue (i hit Y and nothing happens) or it goes to a screen explaining that it is for rescueing your HD etc, do i want to continue so i hit Y and it does nothing. i can't get any farther then that. i even tried making another boot disk without the eeprom in its folder (as it doesn't mention it in the tutorial) and another with XBMC dash files on the c:. neither worked. i think i am not booting correctly to get the HD unlocked.

i did read about unplugging the ide for the HD at the "X" screen with the white micrsoft logo at the bottom so i might try that tonight. any other tips would be great as i have read through the totorial many times, so i must be missing something.

thanks again!

9. chee16

chee16 Member

i forgot to add that i did try to use the exploit when this first happened but it just went to the unleashx logo freeze so that is when i started trying other things and subsequently deleted the game save like a dummy. oh well, like you said, there is always a way, as long as the HD still works.

10. chee16

chee16 Member

*update*
    here is what happens when I try to hotswap:
    INFO INFO INFO INFO INFO INFO INFO INFO

The following drive was found on your primary master :

Be sure that this is the drive you want to use as an
    xbox drive or that is the drive you wish to rescue!
    If you write an xbox partition table to this drive
    all data will be lost...

Be aware of the following linux device names :

Primare Master : /dev.hda
    Primare Slave : /dev/hdb
    Secondary Master : /dev/hdc
    Secondary Slave : /dev/hdd

Do you wish to continue ? [yes/no] : y
    root@Xbox-HDM:/2

this all ends with a blinking cursor

what the crap am i doing wrong????

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  11. chee16

chee16 Member

WOW!!!!!! in typing that out i realized that i was typing "y" not "yes"!!!!
    God i feel like a dummy.

12. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Yeah you gotta love the guy that programmed it. You type "yes" about 12 times then to lock the drive you type "y". I know a guy that reburned a xboxhdm cd because he failed to realize the difference.

13. jrtiltman

jrtiltman Member

Wanted to say THANK YOU! It took me a little bit to get everything down correctly....But this saved my ass! Worked like a charm!!!

14. XboxFreak06

XboxFreak06 Member

Hey chunkhead, I have a question for you, buddy: if I want to copy everything from my Xbox Hard Drive to the 80GB Hard Drive, do I make a new Xbox Hard Drive from scratch that's connected to the Primary Master, but with the original Xbox Hard Drive connected to the Secondary Master, or do I just make the new Xbox Hard Drive first with the Original Xbox Hard Drive hooked up later on (with it unlocked easily that is) and choose clone existing Xbox HD to copy my saved data, music, etc? Thanks for the answer.

I have a v1.6b Xbox, version 5906 Dashboard, and I've had this system since Feb. 21, 2006, and it still works to this day. You see, the only reason why I want more space is because I have a ton of Audio CDs and possibly want to put games on the Hard Drive itself without a disc inserted (IDK if it's possible).

Thanks for answering, and this is a great tutorial.
    Edit: I just changed my Xbox Version from 1.0 to 1.6b since the Xbox itself I have was released in 2005 and the PSU is the ATX 20-pin connection.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  15. ePod111

ePod111 Member

Hey so ive been following this tutorial but have run into a problem. ive gotten into the xbox HDM screen and my HDD is recognized, problem is when i get to the screen that says " you have the following options :" and u press 1 to build a new xbox HD for scratch it says invalid. also under the options line it says disabled, don't really know what to do, i tried he MHDD to unlock it but got no where and don't have eempron. any help would be much appreciated.

16. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

You didn't build your cd correctly, either C or E are missing and xboxhdm sees that the files aren't there to build your hard drive from scratch.

If you don't have the correct files you can get modded ones from my sig. First determine your xbox version then pick the right set of files. Use my files for your xboxhdm cd and when you lock the hard drive and throw it back in the xbox it will boot avalaunch with link to a working msdash.

Good luck.

17. ePod111

ePod111 Member

reply k figured it out problem was i wasn't unplugging the dvd drive and would get err 21, reread tut did it properly, and worked amazingly now to but xbmc and surreal64 on it, thanks for the reply

18. ePod111

ePod111 Member

so the situation is that my original xbox hdd is shot i dunno it won't spin up and computer wont detect it anymore, i don't have a modchip or my eeprom but i do have a 160GB WD drive kicking around wondering if xboxhdm could be used to revive the box or is it finally 6 feet under?

19. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Your xbox can be saved as long as it still boots with a green screen.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

This tutorial will help you make an eeprom reader. With the eeprom reader you can get your eeprom, make a hard drive from scratch and lock it with your eeprom.

Read the tutorial a few times until you're comfortable with the procedure.

Good luck

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  20. ePod111

ePod111 Member

hey thanks so much for that link. so i dunno if i can post on that other thread but i finished it and got my eemprom made another .iso with it on it. but i completed the hotswap and got err 5 realized had to lock it back up. except when i tried option 3 the linux unlock/lock, lockhd -a it says it doesn't find the eemprom.. should i just make another disk, i know the eemprom was good cause it had my serial# so?? thanks for the help