1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Hotswap with XboxHDM v1.9 (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Aug 14, 2007.

1. dude327

dude327 Member

PLEASE HELP!
    I have followed this tutorial to a T. When I run the Build XBOX HD from scratch, I seem to be getting something different than I should.
    I have an unmodded xbox 1.0. When Your screen shot shows the Program saying:
    We will now search /dev/hda for an xbox partition table...
    No xbox partition table found on /dev/hda

Warning! If this is not a blank drive and you continue to write the partition table - all data will be lost
    Continue writing partition?__

Instead of seeing this I am seeing the following:
    No xbox partition table found on /dev/hda

Drive is not locked but locking is enabled
    Dont reboot until you have built a working xbox HDD
    since rebooting will relock the drive.
    Press any key to abort the operation...

It then just sits there until i type in anything... which takes me back to the screen where you select an option (1-8).

So I am unable to have the program go through the process of setting up the xbox hd from scratch.

Do you have any ideas that might help? The unit is unmodded & just started giving error 16, which is what prompted this attempt to salvage the system.

2. jasperR

jasperR Member

when I disconect de DVD drive and power up my Xbox.
    I get a error 10.

can somebody tel me how I can get a error 12 so I can hotswap my Xbox

the original error is 16 so I hope it wil help when I do a hotswap.

3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I'm going to write a new tutorial for Error 16.

Please be patient!

**EDIT**

Error 16 tutorial has been completed, please refer to my tutorials for the location!

;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  4. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

wen i get to this screen [​IMG]

and type 1 it says invalid

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Your HDD may not be unlocked or you have a corrupt disc. Try the process again, paying special attention to the unlocking procedure! If still no luck burn a new disc from scratch!

6. dude327

dude327 Member

You were right. My drive was not fully unlocked. I found very strange results with the unlock program. It worked only after running hdunlock from DOS, and then hddisab. I think the tutorial was unclear maybe about the unlocking, or I was in too much of a hurry. If you just do the hdunlock, without the disabl, you will not be able to complete the drive creation.

7. vernonjr

vernonjr Member

Hey, I appreciate the tutorial, but I am having a problem. When I hotswap and start up my computer I get an error message that says "Primary harddisk error". Any suggestions? If I do the hotswap after the linux cd it'll say "no disk drive found." Thanks for the help!

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Sounds like a BIOS issue, have a look for anything that may be stopping it!

9. vernonjr

vernonjr Member

I got it to work! Thanks so much for the help you saved mine and a friends xboxes! For those who were experiencing a problem like mine, where the xboxhd wasn't recognizing your harddrive try actually turning the computer on, and then pressing the pause/break key before your bios look for drives installed. At that point do the hotswap. For whatever reason, the pc couldn't be off when I tried it, yet I couldn't plug the xbox in as late as the linux cd. Thanks a lot! I would edit the main tutorial to add this little tidbit. I think some pc's do ok when the xbox hd is plugged in before power is on, but other pc's the power has to be on first, yet the xbox hd has to be plugged in before the bios look for it.

10. NwbSpank

NwbSpank Member

hello, i bought a new xbox which replaced my previous softmodded one with a 120 gb hd....i want that 120 hd to be in my new xbox...my xbox isnt modded yet and i first did this tutorial thinking i wouldnt need a xbox....

http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?t=10323

i did that and it was successful and my 120 hd is now unlocked and able to to use with my cpu...

buy now if found this tut and when i got to the part you press "1" for the vga console, it froze and went to a picture of a linux penguin and underneath were my devices showing up...after a while, it goes to another screen and i typed " xboxhd"....it thens says "/dev/hda not connected, and plz reboot and connect to primary master"...plz help!!!

11. NwbSpank

NwbSpank Member

ok i did the pause/break thing and its now done and i upgraded my hard drive from 8 gb to 120 gb...but now i get a error 5 message...any suggestions?

12. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Error 5 is the HDD is unlocked, you need to re-lock it to work!

@ vernonjr

Awesome find dude, this could be the key to troublesome BIOSs.

Added to Troubleshooter and attached tutorials!

;)

13. NwbSpank

NwbSpank Member

how can i relock it to work, can you plz tell me, i need my xbox by evening....

14. dude327

dude327 Member

Use that same linux cd you have used. At the prompt, select boot to DOS with locking/unlocking capabilities. When in DOS, type at the command prompt:
    lockhd
    then hit enter. it should ask you for your locking password... (which you have already right?).
    Enter your code and it should be locked. Then plug the hdd back into the xbox, power off and reboot. You should be good to go.

15. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

ok i will try to burn a new disc

16. dude327

dude327 Member

You do not need to burn a new disc, just boot up the cd you used to create the xbox drive again. When you get to the prompt about options 1 - 4, select to boot to DOS with hard drive locking / unlocking capabilities. As soon as you get the command prompt (A:>)
    type in hdlock
    That is it. It should ask you which drive to lock, select your xbox drive, enter your password, and hit enter. All Done.

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Passwords are DANGEROUS!!! I can't stress this enough guys!

Get an eeprom.bin file. This is the ONLY method I will entertain. Any other method you choose to use other then this you use at YOUR OWN RISK!!!

I will not be held responsible for bricked HDDs, nor will I be able to help you recover it.

Other then the unlocking tutorial I've written, there is no other method to unlock your drive should you make a mistake using codes. You will then have a permanent paperweight!

18. Octopudd

Octopudd Guest

Well i still haven't fixed my xbox yet.
    It started off with me trying to ftp to it but it wasn't working so i tried to back up but i messed something up and now every time i start my xbox it tries to update xbox live but i don't have xbox live. =S

Can i still hotswap if i have a SATA drive because when i tried in august i couldn't do it. I am about to try again. Any tips or other things i could do?

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You can't use SATA!!!

My tutorials show you how to repair the 'Xbox LIVE Update loop'

20. Octopudd

Octopudd Guest

haha well i guess i cant do it.

Well how am i going to fix the xbox live if i cant use sata?

Is it possible to hotswap with an apple computer (Mac) i have OS X and normal ATA drives. Well ill tyr it and post if it works

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007