1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem How to I transfer space from D drive to C drive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Kafka, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I have been trying to download video from my movie camera to Corel Video Stdio 4. After an hour of processing I get a message "No Storage To Load BB!!". I assume this means that I don't have enough space on my C drive. My C drive has a capacity of 97.2gb of which only 7.94 is free. My D drive, which I call my data drive, has a capacity of 292gb of which 192gb is free. How can i transfer space from the D drive to the C drive?

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3292 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 1422 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 97 GB (7 GB Free); D: 292 GB (192 GB Free); L: 292 GB (158 GB Free); Z: 75 GB (53 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G41M-Combo
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

3. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Screenshot as requested.

Attached Files:

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

disk 0 has an odd partition layout.You have placed an extended partition in between two primaries.What i suggest you do for now is get a partitioning software like minitool or easeus (both are free for personal use) .

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

I assume there are no recovery partitions from factory on disk 0. ?

Before we begin there is another method that may not require anything to be done to increase C.

OPTION 1-Remove some restore points,you can use ccleaner for this & selectively remove individual points.

OPTION 2-Reduce pagefile In C too say 1-2gb then use minitool to create an extended partition in the un-allocated space on Disk 1 & format it to ntfs & label it pagefile. "continue reading before doing so"

OPTION 3-Use another partition to store installed games instead of using C including music,photo's & downloads (i do this to attempt to Keep C as lean as possible)

Then use start menu search & type, advanced system settings then under performance hit the settings button (its the top button),then locate advanced tab & hit it (left clik),then hit change.Inside here is where you set pagefile.The first thing i'd do is set C to a fixed size by using custom option.place a dot in custom by left clik.think of a size then type it into the two boxes.Then hit set.
    Now in option 2 above decide how much space you want for a pagefile then extend L to take up what you don't want as pagefile.when operation complete create a new extended partition labeled pagefile in the remaining free space beside partition L

If the above is of no use then resizing it is.However this requires copying data off Z & to another hdd/partition & preferably copy data off D to a different hard drive.So do it & let me know which route you want to go

5. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I have removed a lot of restore points as you suggest and increased my free space from 7.84gb to 25.2gb, which is pretty impressive. Somewhere along the line I was gien the option of compressing C drive to free up space. Is this a good idea? Also, which is the o drive to which you refer?

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It is far better to get a larger hard drive than to compress the one that you have now. I would NEVER compress a hard drive.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Forget about compressing as what ever files get executed will need un-compressing before they get used,however a C drive clean up will remove some or a lot of data.you can access that by right clicking on C in explorer then select properties & then hit the button Disk Cleanup

In the bottom half of your picture & to the very left in bold it says in it's own box
    Disk 0
    then below that it says
    Disk 1
    (to the right you can see your partition layout & disk 0 houses C Z & D while Disk 1 Houses Data L