1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to include SUBTITLE?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Perch, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Perch

Perch Member

I use DVDSHRINK to back up a DVD, with SUBTITLE selected, and burn successfully with NERO, but I cannot see the SUBTITLE on the final product. There is no selection for it either. PLEASE HELP!

Actually, most of the time I just want to extract small video clip to be used in PowerPoint. I use CHOPPER XP to extract the FOB file. But I really need the SUBTITLE in this application as well. How do I do it?

THANKS!

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Did you try using the subtitle button on your remote?

If so, are you sure it even came with subtitles, did you check the source to see?

Unless you remove it shrink will copy the subtitles.

3. Perch

Perch Member

Oops ... didn't even know I have a "subtitle" button on the remote control. It worked! It tells you how experienced I am at this stuff. THANKS!!!

Now ... about extracting a small video clip to use in PowerPoint as illustration, can you please tell me how to do it? This is what I have done:

- Use DVDSHRINK to extract into VOB files, with SUBTITLE selected.
    - Use CHOPPER XP to extract the clip and save as MPG file.
    - Insert the clip into PowerPoint presentation.

and there's no subtitle. When I display the clip on Media Player, there's no subtitle either. So ... how can I force the SUBTITLE into the MPG file?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Did you check to see if it had a subtitle to begin with?

Unfortunately when you re-author you lose menu function.

5. Perch

Perch Member

Yes the original dvd has subtitle, and the duplicate dvd also show subtitle once I press the subtitle button on the remote control.

BUT ... my question now is "how do I embed the subtitle into the MPG clip that I extract from the VOB file?" I would like to use small clips in PowerPoint presentations. THANKS!

6. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

7. Perch

Perch Member

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that next time I get a chance. It might work!

8. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

well, don't start thanking me until it works ;)

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Perch, sorry it took so long, but I see someone picked up the ball, actually that's a good suggestion, let us know how it turned out :>)

10. Perch

Perch Member

Well ... sorry for the long delay in response ... but no matter what I tried (setting up forced subtitle stream in DVDShrink), I still can't get the subtitle on the VOB file. I think I have to combine VOB file with some info from the BUP or IFO files somehow. If I burn the result into a DVD and play back with a DVD player, I can turn on the subtitle with the setting on the DVD player. But I can't force subtitle into an MPG file.

Just to summarize what I would like to do again: extracting a short video clip from a DVD into an MPG file WITH the SUBTITLE embedded in it. Appreciate any help!

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Let me see what I can come up with and I'll get back to ya :>)

12. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

See! I tild you not to thank me yet.

So forcing the subtitle didn't even work when burned to dvd? You had to manually turn on the subtitles?

I'm puzzled......

bigorange,

would having logical remapping of streams enabled interfere with setting(forcing) default subtitle?

13. CJC

CJC Regular member

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

zippyd,

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I have contacted mackem x, he's pretty good with this kind of stuff, I'm waiting on a reply.

I have never tried to do this so it's cloudy waters for me too. I'm gonna do some experimenting tomorrow after I get back.

I'll let ya know what I came up with.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Perch, I talked with mack about trying DvdReMake to do this and this was his response,

the only way you can keep the subs is to copy the whole PGC (to keep the streans) and then trim it to what you want to keep. The thing is you can't remove the cells of the parts you don't want . I suppose you could workaround it by using the bulk replace feature but I haven't really used it at all.

Sooo, the only thing I can come up with is maybe somehow try Clone DVD, it has a little pair of scissors where you can take clips out of a main title. Whether it will keep a subtitle or not I don't know. It has a free trial, so you could give it a whirl.