1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Increase Quality when using DVD Shrink?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by running22, Dec 22, 2007.

1. running22

running22 Guest

When I use the DVD Shrink Program, the quality on the sliding bar (underneath Compression settings) I always left set to automatic, and then deselect all of the superfluous AC3 files that I don't need (for ex. French, Spanish...etc). The automatic quality however of the entire DVD always remains somewhere in the high 50%'s. How do I get the quality up in the 90%s? Or is this possible? Thanks!

2. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

How about main movie only. why keep all that extra stuff that you have it in the original anyway. do this. main movie only, kill all keep english audio only, use deep analysis and AEC in shrink. you'll have very good picture quality back ups even at high level of compression. See, Shrink is still one of the best transcoders there are.

3. Mordaunt

Mordaunt Member

Most movies, unless they are really short and have no additional material included, are going to be recorded on dual layer (DVD9) media. So make up your mind: what do you want: perfect uncompressed detail or a DVD5-capable image? If you go for the smaller image, then you may well have to lose some detail. The threshhold of acceptability is subjective. I don't know where it is for me, but on principle I don't compress below 80%. I don't notice any difference between an original and an 80% duplicate.

I usually strip out all the unnecessary alternate languages and subtitles and store the main movie only.

Generally, if the main movie is under 2 hours, you can get a 100% image that will fit on a DVD5 with no problem.

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

using DVD+R DL media is another option also but its expensive 1.75 each compared to 25 cent each for a dvd-5

5. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Or use VOBB to blank the crap you don't want (like music videos, other movie trailers, deleted/extended scenes, or whatever you want), keep the special features you like (for me, depending on the movie, deleted scenes/extended scenes, gag reels, outtakes, making-of), and your compression rate will be a solid 75% and up. If you have to, freeze the Menus of animated/audio menus and you can save a lot there as well. Use menushrink for that.

I'm a sucker for special features but I also want the compression rates to be at least 70%.

My signature outlines my back up process.

6. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

As outlined by the replies to this thread; there are multiple avenues one could take to increase quality. A lot of it depends on process. A little mix and match isn't a bad idea either. :D

7. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

when using shrink choose movie only and delete unnecessary audio options
    like spanish5.1
    french5.1

and also in sub tittles

when u using dvdfab two options
    use movie and just what u do in shrink
    second option
    u can choose customize and preserve the menu