1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to install mc exploit without modding or swap disc

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by dogfeet, Dec 2, 2004.

1. dogfeet

dogfeet Member

okay, i think i found a terrific way to pull off the memory card exploit without the need of a fliptop/slide card, mod chip or swap disc. all you need is the hdloader cd and some software.

the basic principle is this: we need to get an unmodded ps2 to recognize a burned exploit cd without the need of a swap disc or slide card. so we use cdgenps2 to make an image of the exploit cd and then instead of burning it, we put the ps2 hdd in the computer as a slave and use winhiip to copy that exploit image onto the hdd. now put that hdd back into the ps2 and use the hdloader cd to access the ps2 hdd and run the exploit image. the ps2 should be fooled into thinking you put the exploit cd in and install the exploit to the mem card.

so there it is, it seems so elegantly simple, yet i havn't seen any tutorial or guide for this method. all i have are an unmodded ps2 and hdloader, and i should conceivably be able to make this work.

and here is the catch... i cant make it work. but not to fear because i'm a noob and this is my first post at afterdawn. so surely someone else will see this and say "hey, that's a good idea" and find a way to make it work.

any help would be great, if someone can figure out where i'm going wrong i'd be happy to put together a very detailed noob guide to doing it this way.

2. Silvio6

Silvio6 Member

Hello,

I would be very interested too. I have an un-modded ps2 and a network/hard-drive, and i wonder if it's possible to boot on the hd, possibly with a ghost or drive-image image of a working hard-drive, with boot files etc.. ?

bye,

Silvio6

3. yankees05

yankees05 Guest

i'm interested too i have an un modded ps2 also but no hd

4. Drifty

Drifty Member

why not just buy a swapdisk or modchip???..

5. dogfeet

dogfeet Member

well the whole point of this is to do it without extra purchases. if there's a way to do it without buying those things that works just as well, then to me that's a better method. also, putting burned media into a ps2 can stress the laser, especially on older versions.

6. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Hey dogfeet, I sent you a PM, not sure if i did it right. If it didn't work PM me. I think I found something like you were asking about, but I'm not sure if the site link is allowed as per the rules. And I love this place so I'm stayin on the good side.

7. dogfeet

dogfeet Member

better safe than sorry huh. thanks a lot, i got the pm just fine. i'll try it as soon as i get a chance and let you know how it worked. i really hope it does.

8. teggy

teggy Regular member

Again, buy a mod-chip or swap discs.

Alot simpler instead of openin the pc and footerin about you just get boot with a modchip.

9. dogfeet

dogfeet Member

well if that works for you then that's great. personally though, i dont have any trouble moving a hard drive, and if this method works, it could be done in an hour or so. otherwise i'd have to spend the $50 or so on a mod chip and swap disk, wait a month for delivery, fuss over all the trouble of soldering the wires (which is a great deal harder than just moving a hard drive), and the whole time i'm waiting for my mod chip to come in i might figure out the ftp method and then i'll have cogswap on the mem card and wont need the stuff i ordered anymore.

besides, even if the only benefit is the money saved, it's still worthwhile. and i like the thought of doing it in a new and different way.

10. Silvio6

Silvio6 Member

Hello,

Waouw, it's fantastic ! All I had was to order the hdadvance2 (a commercial version and rip of hdloader) and now I can copy all my games inside my PS2 !!! no more scratched disks !!! At first, I used a 20Gb harddisk, but that was too small (3-5 games), it gave me the need for more storage ! I hooked a 60gb hard-disk and now it's great. Very fast loading times are really a great pleasure, enhancing the gameplay of some "slow" games.

there are two methods to do that:
    You can backup the games using the PS2 or the best, is to use winhiip (use google to find it) to do it from your PC to the hard-disk. you need for that a DVD player or ... a fast internet connection ;-)
    My PS2 is still not modded, all the shops in my area don't want to do it anymore (the say it's risky, and i cant do it myself), they only do the xbox, and are waiting for that solder-less ps2 chip (dms ez i think).
    BUT I still can't play USA (NTSC) games, mine is a PAL one. until I find a way to get it modded, I am tring to "patch" my iso images from NTSC to PAL but had no success until now. I used a "generic" patcher, but I don't think that would be so easy. I think i will need specific patchs for every iso image i have .. if someone knows the solution, please help :)

See ya

Silvio

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004